Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-18 Vlan

James Stapleton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi and thank you in advance.

I have an SG200-18 and would like to impliment 2 VLAN's which will seperate the switch for DATA and Voice.

Can this be done on this switch or will I need a layer 3 switch, is there any documentaton or similiar docs available that present a schema in such a manner.

Again, Thanking you in advance.

Kindest regards

James

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James,

The SG200 is VLAN capable. What kind of router do you have? Does it have VLAN support?

- Marty

Marty, thank you very much for your prompt reply.  I would like to create two static vlans which will consist of the first 6 ports and then another vlan for the remaining 10 ports, there will be no need for either vlans to communicate to each other and both vlans will be connected to a sonicwall device which will provide different subnets.  Can this be ac hived with this unit?  Kindest regards  James

Hi James, does your router support VLAN? Before putting forth the effort to make screen shot or type out how to do this, it is important to know. The SG200 is a layer 2 switch meaning Layer 2 VLAN. If your router doesn't support VLAN tagging or dot1q subinterface, the Sg200 will not work out for you unless you're using 2 different router - 1 for each VLAN.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

James,

As Tom stated, if the SonicWall has VLAN support the switch will work fine with it. Create the VLANs on the SonicWall to match what you want on the switch and create a trunk port between them.

You will want the default VLAN Untagged on each side of the trunk and all other VLANs Tagged. If the SonicWall doesn't support trunking, you will need to configure a port for each VLAN to connect the switch.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

- Marty