cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26P and DSL

grayalexanderj
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a SG200-26P to play around with at my home network. I currently have a DSL modem/router combo. What will be the configuration here?

Will I put the modem/router combo in "bridge mode" and connect it to the switch, connecting my other devices to the switch? Or should I do something with trying to disable wireless on my modem router, and use another router or AP as an AP?

1 Reply 1

Rosica Sareva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello  grayalexanderj,

The SG200 switches are Layer 2 devices, so you will still need the ISP modem/router to stay as it is now. The SG200 will just give you more network ports, to connect more devices with a cable.

You may continue using the Wireless, provided by the modem/router. On the other hand - if you need more/better coverage - it is not a problem to connect additional access point to the switch.

If with default settings - the SG200 switch is retrieve an IP address by the modem/router and provide L2 connectivity to the other devices you will connect to the network.  But, it does not have any L3 capabilities, so the router will be needed as it is now.

Regards,

Rositsa Sareva 

Cisco SMB engineer