Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250-08 after firmware update not accessible anymore

Karsten N
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm facing a problem after firmware update from 2.5.8.12 to 2.5.8.15. After that update, the switch reboots and the system LED is permanent flashing (it is an higher frequency than during normal boot). Connected devices don't get an IP resp. the switch is not accessible.

After resetting (power on + hold reset for more than 10 sec) the switch, I can reload a backup of my config and everthing works again.

Some weeks ago, I've had the same problem with a former update from 2.5.7.85 to 2.5.8.12.

To be honest, it is my first smart switch from Cisco. This behaviour is not acceptable - or am I doing something wrong?

Thx + Regards,

Karsten

21 Replies 21

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>the switch reboots and the system LED is permanent flashing 

- That means the factory default IP address is again used , (192.168.1.254) , please remember to save the configuration before executing an upgrade.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Mmmhh ... just an idea ... is it possible that the switch looses his config after firmware update?

In that case, I would try first the default config with the corresponding IP 192.168.1.254 after next update.

>is it possible that the switch looses his config after firmware update?

Normally it shouldn't as stated make sure a save-before is done , also when this is done (before the upgrade) , check the logs too - make sure no errors are seen (related to saving the configuration).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 wrote:

>is it possible that the switch looses his config after firmware update?

Normally it shouldn't as stated make sure a save-before is done , also when this is done (before the upgrade) , check the logs too - make sure no errors are seen (related to saving the configuration).

M.

Thank you. I've checked the log files, but there are no relevant entries. An yes, I've always a backup of the last running config. After next fw update, I'll check to use the default IP if there are any problems. But it remains strange ...

> I've always a backup of the last running config.

There's a difference between having a backup and saving the configuration (too)

M.

@marce1000 wrote:

> I've always a backup of the last running config.

There's a difference between having a backup and saving the configuration (too)

That sounds interesting, may I've something forgotten, but what?

I've no unsaved config changes (e.g. the save button is not flashing). Is there an additional task for me, e.g. before uprading to perform another file operation?

Do you get a confirming-message when using the save button ? M.

@marce1000 wrote:
Do you get a confirming-message when using the save button ? M.

Yes. The log file gets two entries for that:

%COPY-N-TRAP: The copy operation was completed successfully
%COPY-I-FILECPY: Files Copy - source URL running-config destination URL flash://system/configuration/startup-config 

- Does it load the intended startup-config in normal circumstances ? M.

Yes. If I power off and on, then the switch works as configured. The problem only occurs after firmware update.

- I don't mean the power off and on situation, which is not applicable when upgrading. I mean does it load the intended configuration upon 'simple' reboot.

M.

@marce1000 wrote:

- I don't mean the power off and on situation, which is not applicable when upgrading. I mean does it load the intended configuration upon 'simple' reboot.

M.

Great! Looks like, that you've the right instinct! After reboot, I've the same problems - even if I re-config my notebook (which is connected to the switch) to use a static IP in the default range of the switch (and for the switch itself the IP 192.168.1.254). I triggered the reboot via Web UI, but I did not check the checkboxes for "Restore to Factory Defaults" or "Clear Startup Configuration File".

But, I do not really understand what is going wrong (probably a misconfig by myself)?

Then there is another strange thing. As preface, some infos to my setup

• Port 1 is my vlan trunk to my router (two vlans are carried by this line; also the DHCP data from the router)
  • Ports 2 to 4 are part of vlan 50 (port based)
  • Ports 5 to 8 are part of vlan 10 (port based)

Before I perform that reboot, I've backed-up running and startup config. I've compared them in a text editor: Both are identical.

After reboot, I've tried to recover the switch via re-import of the running-config a couple of times:

• First I've tried it with the latest one (of the current firmware version 2.5.8.15). Without success.
  • Then I re-import the running-config from the former firmware version (2.5.8.12) and it was successful.
  • If I compare both in a text editor, then there is a difference for port 1 (see below)

Port 1 (based on 2.5.8.15)

interface GigabitEthernet1
 spanning-tree link-type point-to-point 
 switchport mode trunk 
 macro description switch
 !next command is internal.
 macro auto smartport dynamic_type switch 

Port 1(based on 2.5.8.12)

interface GigabitEthernet1
 switchport mode trunk 
 switchport trunk native vlan none 

I've not changed the config manually. These changes must be occured via re-import into the latest firmware version.

- I will not go into those port-configuration issues, but stick to the original problem which  you are now experiencing for 'simple reboots' also, in that context  :  After making any reconfiguration, you need to 'commit' the changes by duplicating the 'Running Configuration' to the 'Startup Configuration'.  See menu: Administration > File Management > File Operations

M.

Before last "reboot test case", I've duplicated the runnning config to start config by file operation. It doesn' help.

I've even compared a backed-up running config with a backed-up start-config, both were identical (see former post 11-28-2021 08:34 AM)

And: There is no difference between pushing the save button and file operation to duplicate the config from running to start config (see former post, 11-28-2021 03:42 AM). Also the log entries for both ways are identical.