Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250-08 on L3 Layer

Let me know it is possible to switch the SG250-08 Small Business Switch to Layer 3 mode.

I've found in switch management GUI in Advanced View position Interfaces that for all port it is possible but my question concers how to switch all device to L3 mode. 

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i do not believe these model have ability what you looking to do, instead you have each port seperate VLAN.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-smart-switches/smb5097-configure-a-vlan-on-a-switch.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ajpareek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please find the below URL to change the switch mode from Layer 2 to Layer 3 if options is available in SG250 :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-300-series-managed-switches/smb5073-switching-to-layer-3-mode-on-the-sf-sg-300-series-switches.html

When switch is in Layer 3 mode, you can manage internal routing with your switches and dedicate your router to external traffic and security, helping your network run more efficiently. Please find the below URL to achieve the Layer 3 routing in switch: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEe7cU3x1Q&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Ajay Pareek

Hi Ajay Pareek

Unfortunalety in GUI SG250-08 there is no such item in System Setting as L2 or L3 Layer System Mode.

As You can see Your post describes menu in higher model of switch SF/SG300 series.

But thank You for Your post.

Regards

Hello GrzegorzLys71809,

My name is Anton and I am part of the Cisco SMB Support Team.

What I can recommend is to use Copy Settings feature of the switch vlan interface configuration.

When you go to VLAN Management->Interface Settings in the WEB GUI select one of the interfaces in Layer 3 mode and then press Copy Settings button under the Interface Settings Table. 

Then in the newly opened window you can select all interfaces. After applying Layer 3 configuration will be copied to all interfaces  and they will become Layer 3. 

Please be aware that after applying these changes all settings previously configured on switch Layer 2 interfaces will be lost!

This along with enabling the IPv4 Routing in the IP Configurations->IP Management and Interfaces->IPv4 Interface will hopefully provide some overall Layer 3 functionality you require.

Kind Regards!

Anton Gekov
Technical Consulting Engineer – Level 1
Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

Hi Anton.

Nice to meet You.

Thank You for Your fast response. I probably posed the question incorrectly.

I have situation as in attached pdf.

My IT configured two VLAN-s (18 and 20 addressed 10.10.18.x and 10.10.20.x) on two Catalyst 2960-X ports nr 1 and 2 with restriction max. one MAC on one port.

I have to make bridge connection between two buildings using one pair of multimode fiber optic cable. I have two multimedia converters that I can use RJ45 no 8 port for example to estabilish bridge connection between switches

I would like to use two SG250-08 switches.

On the second side I have group of 4 devices of VLAN20 (the same addresses) and 1 device of VLAN 18.

Is this configuration generally possible and if so what do I need to configure on which switches?

If not what I need to do it. The situation scheme in attachment.

Best regards

Great idea - except the SG250-08 switch then becomes totally unresponsive and needs to be reset to bring back to life. Any other thoughts Anton?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X