Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 - 10 gbit - Qnap NAS TVS 882

Joris Everaert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We will buy a Qnap TVS 882 as soon as they can be ordered.  The TVS882 has 4 x 1GbE ports, and can optionally be equipped with two 10GbE cards or two 2x1GbE ports (4 additional so 8 in totally) 

Our switch is a SG300-28. It has 2 Combo Mini-GBiC slots.

I'm looking for a 10 GbE SFP that can be inserted in a combo slot but I cannot find one. If someone knowledgable could point me to the SFP's that are supported on the SG-300, I would be very grateful.

Any advice on how to connect the NAS to the network is also very appreciated.  

The clients are all thin clients, except for two video editing machines.  We have a couple of 3D rendering servers who will use all the bandwidth we can give them.

Thanks !

Joris

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The SG300-28 has SFP ports, which are Gigabit only.  To do 10Gbe you need SFP+ ports.  So you will not be able to plug 10Gbe into a SG300-28.

You need to step up two the SG350 series to get 10Gbe.  Also note you can get 10GBaseT (or MGig) or SFP+ 10Gbe - but you can't plug an SFP+ port into 10GbaseT or vice versa.  So whatever you buy, make sure it matches the same kind of connectors that both your NAS and workstations are going to use.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/350x-series-stackable-managed-switches/compare-model.html