cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sg300-28pp ports not always lighting up/active

cisco-newb
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to have an odd issue with this brand new switch that I purchased a couple weeks ago.  I am using this switch for IP Cameras and other PoE and PoE+ devices and so far everything appears to be working as expected (still staging equipment/cameras).  I currently have 4 (had 6 at one point) PoE cameras connected to the switch and they all came online/active ports 0 issues.  Port 1 is being used as an up-link to another switch and that port is working fine.  When I logged in via the GUI, I decided to test the reboot feature, I found the button, clicked reboot, and the switch appears to reboot (first time I did this, I was logged in remotely). After a few minutes, the switch wasn't replying to pings, so I gave it some more time...nothing.  When I got back on site, I noticed that all of the IP Camera ports were blinking/on and my up-link port was not active. I unplugged the cable and tried another port, it turned on and i noticed the replies come back on the local computer I was using to ping.  I tried putting the cable back in the original port and this time it turned on immediately. I tried a few other random ports, initially they didn't come on, but after taking the cable out and re-inserting the port became active.  This was odd/not normal, so I assumed that it was just a bad cable.  I tried another cable...same issue, but it is still random, sometimes the port will work, other times it won't (even when trying other random ports).  I moved the IP Cameras from the right side ports to the far left side (where I noticed the problem) and they all came online right away.  This got me thinking that maybe my cisco switch is good, my cables are good, but maybe the port I am using on the other switch is bad, so I swapped ports on that switch (went from port 5 to port 4) and I noticed the same thing.  When I go back, I want to either try replacing the switching that the cisco is plugging into, to see if that switch is starting to go on me (although, everything else that is plugged into that switch is working fine) and I also want to try plugging in my laptop in all the cisco ports to rule out the switch I am connecting the cisco switch to.  If my laptop doesn't light up then I have to assume I have a bad cisco switch or there is something in the cisco switch settings that is not allowing that port to turn on.

The PoE devices are only grabbing 5-6 watts of power, each, I don't think that has anything to do with it.  While writing this message I had someone at that location unplug the cable (lights were off on the cisco switch port) and plug it back in and it came back online. I still need to do some more testing, but I wanted to start this discussion to see if anyone else has experienced this issue, before.

Thanks.  

3 Replies 3

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Have you done any configuration on the switch?  Do you know about "copy run start" to preserve your changes through a reboot?  Do you also know the default IP will be changed if you boot the switch while it is connected to a DHCP server?

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I have made many changes and I used 'do write memory' to save my changes.  The management IP is currently set to DHCP, but my server will issue the same IP for 2 couple days.  I did some more testing, it appears to be a bad uplink switch, not the cisco switch.  I tested this by adding a second uplink to another switch and did several reboots of the cisco switch and each time it came back from a reboot the second uplink switch and all the IP cameras came online and the first switch I was testing with was 50/50 on the port lighting up.  I also tested by taking my laptop and plugging it into each port (on the cisco) and confirming that the port went active every time. After more testing, I feel comfortable that the cisco switch is fine, but the uplink switch I was using is starting to fail.

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Also, you mentioned it is new so you can call support if you wish: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --