Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 And SVI Routing...

Eric Wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking to connect a switch to my home ASUS router and I know the router doesn't support direct VLAN tagging.

So my solution is to buy a SG300 and do the L3 routing and VLAN tagging directly on that instead. 

My questions are the following:

1. Does the SG300 support SVI capability?

2. Does the SG300 have a layer 3 mode? I looked in the admin guide but couldn't find if that's supported.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

2 Replies 2

Ingrid Aragon
Level 1
Level 1

Eric,

As manage device, yes it has Layer 3 mode. Check this in the system summary, if you found that it is on L2 you can go to Administration > System settings.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Hello,

I have a an ASUS AC88U router which does not directly support VLAN tagging. I want to be able to circumvent that "lack of functionality" by introducing a Cisco SG300 switch between that router and a ESXi server with 6 physical NIC cards. The goal is to have at least 4 of the NIC cards on a separate VLAN for essentially training purposes within my home lab environment.

My thoughts are the following:

1. Connect the SG300 to my ASUS Router by way of a ROUTER on a Stick connection.

2. Have the ports for each of my NIC cards on the server connected to the SG300 as a individual broadcast domain with a VLAN and IP assigned (L3).

My questions and/or concerns are do you think this will work? I know the server NIC cards connected to the SG300 will work, but how to get that traffic successfully passed to the ASUS Router, not directly supporting VLANs is a concern.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My goal is simply to use VLANs within my environment with a home router that doesn't directly (not part of the firmware build) support VLANs.

ASUS Router ----- > Cisco SG300 ----- > Server

Thanks!