cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 VLAN setup. Probably a very basic question

linkuptech
Level 1
Level 1

I just got 2 SG300 52 port switches.  The main reason I chose this switch was for it's VLAN capabilities.  I currently have an RV082 router.  On the router I'm able to extremely easily setup each of the 8 ports on their own seperate VLAN's by assigning VLAN1, VLAN2, etc to each port.  That's EXACTLY what I want to do with the switch, but with the added functionality I'm a bit confused as to how to do this. 

A little back story to give a better idea of my goals.  2 of these switches will be installed into a building with 100 suites.  Each suite will go to it's own port on the switch and I want all the suites to be 100% individual from each other.  The reason for this is before getting the SG300 switches we've had instances where one poorly setup router in a suite will cripple the ENTIRE building.  So my solution is to have each suite on it's own individual VLAN.

Any help would be appreciated.

11 Replies 11

trgood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Manuel,

VLAN setup on the SG300 is very easy.

First go to the VLAN Management page > Create VLAN.

Then Click add.

When here you can create each VLAN id individually.  However since it sounds like you want to have 100 VLANs I woudl just create them as a range.

Once you have created the VLANs go to Port VLAN Membership under VLAN Management.  Then click each port individually and click Join Vlan. Then add the appropriate VLAN as untagged for each port.

Some issues you may run into for this is reaching the internet. You would want to create a unique subnet for each VLAN on the switch.  Then you would need to setup DHCP for the devices connected to that port, alternatively you could statically configure the IP addresses, just be sure the default gateway is the switch IP in the same VLAN.

Then on the switch configure a static route under IP Configuration IPv4 Static Routes.  Click add and set the destination prefix and subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 and set the next hop to the RV IP address.

In this way All of your devices will be on different broadcast domains but should still have internet connectivity. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

That definitely helped a lot and in testing what you said I realize why the second part of your post is needed.  However, that's also the part that confuses me a little.  You're saying I'll need to turn DHCP on on the switch to hand out IP's to the VLAN's since now the router wont be able to I assume?

Well from my understanding you have 100 suites so you will have 100 VLANs which means you will have 100 different subnets. If you want to use DHCP since you will have 100 different subnets you will have to have 100 dhcp scopes to deliver IP addresses in each subnet. 

On most routers you would be able to do this.  However, from my understanding you can only have 1 DHCP scope on the RV082.  Plus the VLANs on the RV082 are Port Based only (meaning they don't segment via internal interfaces with assigned IP addresses, they just disallow communication between those ports). So on the RV082 you could only have a maximum number of VLANs based on the number of ports.

So you will probably need to find another device to do DHCP for each subnet.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

-Trent Good

This switch supports dhcp server

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Whoops, you're 100% right.  I was thining of the SG200 for some reason.

-Trent Good

Being that the switch supports it, can you give me a quick breakdown on how I'd set it up to work in this situation?  I'm struggling a bit here being so new to Cisco switches.

After doing a little bit of reading about DHCP Relay's.. It seems that this may be a viable option.. Would enabling DHCP relay for each and every VLAN accomplish what I need to be done or am I misunderstanding?

Hi Manuel, dhcp relay should be enabled globally and per the vlan.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I'm currently testing with one port on it's own VLAN.  I enabled DHCP Relay.  Set the DHCP server to the IP of the router.  Then in Interface Settings I enabled it on that specific VLAN.  I then plugged straight into that port and my laptop was never issued an IP.  Am I missing something?

Hi Miguel, the above posts are the correct answers. If you have only 1 dhcp server/scope that is all it is. The DHCP server would have to be aware of all those vlans to feed the connection.

Basically if you seriously want 100 vlan and 100 dhcp addresses you'd need 100 dhcp scopes. Or you need to connect a device to each switch port that can supply the dhcp as desired.

Alternatively if your ONLY concern is separating traffic. you can use 1 vlan and make every port a protected port... this will isolate each switch port to only communicate to what connects on that port.

-Tom

"Alternatively if your ONLY concern is separating traffic. you can use 1 vlan and make every port a protected port... this will isolate each switch port to only communicate to what connects on that port."

That actually sounds like exactly what I need.  I will try this.  Thank you.