Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 52P Switch - web interface shows wrong model and randomly logs out

vonderburg12
Level 1
Level 1

Ladies and Gentlemen!

One of our network switches is an SG500 52P switch which has recently started to show a strange behavior.

It all started with the problem that it was not accessible through its web interface anymore. Even though it was running perfectly fine accessing it via a web browser ended up in time-outs.

After resetting the switch to factory default and setting up its IP address access first seemed work but I had to find out that the switch declared itself as a SG300 28P switch on the administration website. Additionally, random log outs occur which send me back to the login page. Every once in a while the model is correctly displayed after logging in but when I try to manage it I an logged out again.

It still runs with an old firmware version (1.2.xx I guess) but that should not cause such a behavior, should it? Anyway, I cannot update the firmware as the switch declares itself as a different model.

Any suggestions what to do (aside from RMA)?

Regard,

Hendryk

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry that you are having issues with the device and I will try to give you the best advice possible considering the circumstances.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you are actually connecting to a different device thinking is the SG500. I experienced this multiple times before, so I have a few suggestions just to make sure we are connecting to the actual device:

1- Download the Cisco FINDIT tool and scan you rnetwork, maybe you will find that you have both devices, the SG300 and the SG500. Here is the link:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282833583&flowid=18841&softwareid=283453334&release=1.1.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

2- Access the switch you believe to be the SG500 and then go to Administration, then Discovery - CDP and then click on CDP Neighbor Information. Most likely you will see that you have several switches including the SG500.

3- If you have followed both suggestions and you are still convinced you are accessing the right switch then give us a call at 866-606-1866 (from the US) and we will be happy to help you checking the device and replacing it if that is the case.

I really think that the first 2 suggestions will help you realizing that you have both switches on your network.

Please let us know what you find.

View solution in original post

V K Moorthy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think you have multiple switches with same ip address.Kindly check the MAC address info in System summary page (GUI)  and try to match with switch(which is mentioned in below serial number).

regards

Moorthy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry that you are having issues with the device and I will try to give you the best advice possible considering the circumstances.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you are actually connecting to a different device thinking is the SG500. I experienced this multiple times before, so I have a few suggestions just to make sure we are connecting to the actual device:

1- Download the Cisco FINDIT tool and scan you rnetwork, maybe you will find that you have both devices, the SG300 and the SG500. Here is the link:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282833583&flowid=18841&softwareid=283453334&release=1.1.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

2- Access the switch you believe to be the SG500 and then go to Administration, then Discovery - CDP and then click on CDP Neighbor Information. Most likely you will see that you have several switches including the SG500.

3- If you have followed both suggestions and you are still convinced you are accessing the right switch then give us a call at 866-606-1866 (from the US) and we will be happy to help you checking the device and replacing it if that is the case.

I really think that the first 2 suggestions will help you realizing that you have both switches on your network.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into that. Maybe there IS an ip problem. I recall that a new cisco switch was installed in a remote part of the building as part of our recent network infrastructure expansion. So there could be a mistake in our documentation.

I will not have time to do any further investigation on that matter before Friday but I will post an update as soon as I have any news.

Thanks again

Hendryk

Hello, 

I'm very curious to know if you were able to find out what the issue was.

Please let us know if you had the time to test anything yet.

Sorry for the late feedback.

Both of you were absolutely right with your suggestions. Thanks to a little mistake in our documentation the two switches had the same IP address. I only wonder why this setup has been working for more than 6 months before running into problems...

So: Small cause, big effect. I had never thought of such a simple solution.

Thanks for the help!

Hendryk

Hello, 

Thank you so much for following our suggestions and letting us know what the issue was.

Keep posting!!!

V K Moorthy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think you have multiple switches with same ip address.Kindly check the MAC address info in System summary page (GUI)  and try to match with switch(which is mentioned in below serial number).

regards

Moorthy