Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500X LACP Not Working...

Eric Wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm simply trying to create an LACP link between a SG500 and SG500X. The problem is on the SG500X which is the new switch I'm setting up - there are already other switches using the SG500 with an LACP link just fine, just this SG500X is giving me problems.

I have 4 links from the SG500 configured for LACP that I will be using with the SG500X, although the ports I want use 33-36 show as 'non-candidate' on the SG500, why I don't know.

SG500-B1-NET#sh int po1

Load balancing: src-dst-mac.

Gathering information...
Channel  Ports
-------  -----
Po1      Active: gi1/1/47-49 Non-candidate: gi1/1/33-36,gi1/1/50
SG500-B1-NET#

interface gigabitethernet1/1/33
 channel-group 1 mode auto
!
interface gigabitethernet1/1/34
!
interface gigabitethernet1/1/35
!
interface gigabitethernet1/1/36

interface Port-channel1
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 30-33

When I go over to the SG500X and setup the port-channels and such, the links steadily keep saying the LACP ports are inactive. When I look at one of the ports setup for LACP, I noticed is has no VLAN information.

interface Port-channel1
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 30-33,70,100,130-133,160
!

Core-B9-NET#sh int po1

Load balancing: src-dst-mac.

Gathering information...
Channel  Ports
-------  -----
Po1      Inactive: gi1/1/1-4
Core-B9-NET#sh lacp port-channel 1
Port-Channel Po1
       Port Type Gigabit Ethernet
       Attached Lag id:
       Actor
               System Priority:1
               MAC Address:    f4:ea:67:8e:4b:31
               Admin Key:      1000
               Oper Key:       1000
       Partner
               System Priority:0
               MAC Address:    00:00:00:00:00:00
               Oper Key:       0

Port : gi1/1/1
Port Mode: Trunk
Gvrp Status: disabled
Ingress Filtering: true
Acceptable Frame Type: admitAll
Ingress UnTagged VLAN ( NATIVE ): 1

Port is member in:

Vlan               Name               Egress rule Port Membership Type
---- -------------------------------- ----------- --------------------

Forbidden VLANS:
Vlan               Name
---- --------------------------------

Classification rules:

Protocol based VLANs:

None of the switch ports on either end are shutdown. 

I can't ping my GW IP on the switch or the management IP on the switch, from the actual CLI interface. The only time I can at least ping the local interface on the SG500X switch is if I have a different laptop setup on a port for 'access mode', then I can ping the actual management IP address of the switch. But of course this laptop would be connected directly to the SG500X when this works.

What am I missing here, do I need to set this up only via the Web GUI or what? This would easily work on any other Cisco switch.

Additionally, I only added one link port channel on the SG500X and still NO joy.

16 Replies 16

I know this is an old string but since I started it I felt appropriate for me to begin it again. I'm still stuck using trunk ports only between my SG500 and SG500X.

I have what is my edge switch (SG500) connected to a cisco core with LACP set to 'auto' - that works fine. 

I then have an SG500 connected to a SG500X but I can't seem to get port-channels working between the 500 and 500X. On the 500 I have 4 ports setup using the same port-channel 1 back to my core switch. I wanted to create 2 more ports on the 500 using port-channel 1 and then connect those to my 500X.

I have connected 2 ports on the 500 and 500X together (starting with only one link first) and add those as "channel-group 1 mode auto". Then I connect a laptop to the 500X using an IP on one of my VLANS I'm trunking and I can never ping that laptop, so I know the port-channel is not passing traffic. If I got back to a simple trunk port between the switches I can ping just fine.

I seem to have still not figured out the trick to getting port-channels to work between these switches. 

I have setup both the 500 and 500X port-channels for both "on" and "auto" and it seems to just not be working.

Matt Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

5 years to late but ...

"I wanted to create 2 more ports on the 500 using port-channel 1 " - You cannot  re-use port channel 1 to a different switch.

You would need to create port channel 2.

I also don't see you actually configuring the ports as trunk e.g.
interface port-channel 2
switchport mode trunk