Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH on SG200 series switches

rdlcert
Level 1
Level 1

Community,

Can someone tell me what the intention behind adding SSH to the SG200 series switches was.  Is it to allow SCP copies to and from the switch for configuration and firmware updates OR is it to allow CLI access to the switches.

I have tried to SSH to the switch using PuTTY from Windows and native SSH from Linux/Unix clients, but nothing happens.

Is there some other area of configuration to enable communcation via SSH?

Thanks.                  

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi rdlcert, there is no additional configuration options on the Sg200 switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Tom,

I am confused by your answer.  Perhaps I should rephrase my question:

Why was the SSH feature added to the SG200 series switches?

1.  To support SSH access to a command line on the switch?

2.  To support SCP for copying configurations and firmware to/from the switch?

3.  Both?

Thanks.

Bob

Has there been any movement on this question offline? From the Release Notes on the 1.3.0 firmware update, under the "Major Changes" section, it states "...Added support for SNMP and SSH to the 200 Series Switches."

It would be really nice to have the CLI capability for these switches. I found where the CLI reference guide had been released under the documentation tabs, so that would indicate some kind of support. I am not seeing anything definitive for turning the CLI access on.

Thanks!

Wendell

Wendell,

No, there has been no response to my question.  I am still waiting for a definitive answer, as I too, would like CLI access for the SG200 series.

Bob

Hi, any access feature would be under security -> tcp/udp services

SSH, telnet, etc is not included there.

The only SG200 switch which supports a CLI is the SG200E models (which has supported CLI for as long as I can remember , at least 2 yrs).

Please reference the documentation, Chapter 18 start page 276.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

As far as I can tell this is for things like Secure Copy.

There is also CLI information in chapter 19, here's the excerpt. This is in context with SSD.

The Menu CLI interface is only allowed to users if their read permissions are Both

or Plaintext Only. Other users are rejected. Sensitive data in the Menu CLI is always

displayed as plaintext.

Password recovery is currently activated from the boot menu and allows the user

to log on to the terminal without authentica

tion. If SSD is supported, this option is

only permitted if the local passphrase is identical to the default passphrase. If a

device is configured with a user-defined passphrase, the user is unable to activate

password recovery.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/