cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack unit mode? 1xSG500X and 2xSG550X? (basic hybrid,adv hybrid?)

brandon_lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What stack unit mode should I set my switches in? I have 1xSG500x and 2sSG550x. The directions on the guide aren't completely clear to me. From my understanding, I will not be able to use a native stack because one of them are a SG500x, while the other 2 are SG550x. Which of the two Hybrid stack modes would I select for my switches? Should I be doing basic hybrid? Or Advanced Hybrid? Which switch should be set as the master? One of the SG550X?

These are the descriptions of each on the Cisco Guide:

Basic Hybrid

—A device can connect to other devices from the 500 series to form a stack . In this mode, VRRP and/or RIP are not supported. The GUI for Sx500 devices is displayed, even if the stack master is SG500X, since the feature set is that of the Sx500. In this mode, any type of device can function as master or backup. Only 5G stacking ports can be used as stack ports.

Advanced Hybrid

—A device can connect to other devices from the 500 series to form a stack. In this mode, VRRP and/or RIP are supported. Only SG500X devices can function as master/backup, and auto numbering of units is not supported.Sx500 devices can only be slaves, therefore up to six Sx500 units can be stacked with two SG500X devices.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/quick_start/en/500_Series_QSG_En.pdf (Page 12)

*EDIT* - I think I might be interpreting all of this wrong. After reading again, it sounds like both the SG550X and SG500X together aren't compatible in a stack?

1 Reply 1

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

The information you found is related to SG500 series switches only. You are right. They are completely different platforms.You will be not able to stack SG500 series switches and SG550 series switches.

Please rate this post or marked as answered to help other Cisco customers.

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco STAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO