cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to update firmware of SF300-24 past 1.3.7.18

cscortes001
Level 1
Level 1

The latests firmware version is 1.4.1, but everytime I try to update the ".ros" file, it begins the upload, but then ends with the "sw file is oversided" error and never lets me update the firmware. 

In the zip file there are 2 files, but the other file will not "upload in the gui", i get an "illegal format error".

Any help will be appreciated,

thanks,

Luis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having issues with the device and I'm very positive I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

The issue appears to be that you have upgraded the firmware (.ros file) on the switch but haven't done the same with the boot code (.rfb file).

Not upgrading the boot code will create problems with the newest firmware versions as it is needed to rearrange the file system inside the switch.

My recommendation is to upgrade the boot code to 1.3.5.06 and then you will be able to upgrade to latest versions of firmware

Now, the boot code cannot be upgraded via HTTP and you will need to do it via TFTP.

Here is a guide on how to perform the upgrade via TFTP:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=08ef98be59904ccc9c4d69a657f5550f_Firmware_Upgrade_via_TFTP_on_200_Series_Switches.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search

Please remember that, even thou you can use the TFTP to upload both, the firmware and boot code, you only need to use it for the boot code as the firmware can be uploaded via HTTP.

If you don't have a TFTP server, I would recommend to use a free software called TFTPD32 (google is your friend).

As a warning, once you are able to upgrade the boot code and you reboot the switch, it could take up to 10 minutes for the device to be back and ready.

I hope this was helpful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having issues with the device and I'm very positive I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

The issue appears to be that you have upgraded the firmware (.ros file) on the switch but haven't done the same with the boot code (.rfb file).

Not upgrading the boot code will create problems with the newest firmware versions as it is needed to rearrange the file system inside the switch.

My recommendation is to upgrade the boot code to 1.3.5.06 and then you will be able to upgrade to latest versions of firmware

Now, the boot code cannot be upgraded via HTTP and you will need to do it via TFTP.

Here is a guide on how to perform the upgrade via TFTP:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=08ef98be59904ccc9c4d69a657f5550f_Firmware_Upgrade_via_TFTP_on_200_Series_Switches.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search

Please remember that, even thou you can use the TFTP to upload both, the firmware and boot code, you only need to use it for the boot code as the firmware can be uploaded via HTTP.

If you don't have a TFTP server, I would recommend to use a free software called TFTPD32 (google is your friend).

As a warning, once you are able to upgrade the boot code and you reboot the switch, it could take up to 10 minutes for the device to be back and ready.

I hope this was helpful.

cscortes001
Level 1
Level 1

This was exactly the answer I needed to get it to work. The only comment I could add to this great answer is that the TFTPD32 that I found had a virus.  Bummer.  There are plenty of free TFTP servers out there and I found another one to replace it called openTFTPserver (but there is no reason that this would be any more virus free than your recommendation).  Just use some wisdom and check what you download from the internet is the moral of this story. 

THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!!