Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP phone issue - Trunk VLAN in place

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a few CBS250 series switches in place. My VLAN1 has a DHCP option that our Avaya phones read and then move to VLAN5.  Then DHCP option on VLAN5 tells the phones where to reach the phone server.

All my Avaya IP phones work fine on my Aruba (or TP-Link, and Netgear) switches, AND, 1 CBS250 switch.

I do not use auto-voice or smartport on any CBS250 switches as my DHCP options and VLAN configurations have worked for a decade (literally).

I have 2 other (have not tested more) CBS250 switches where the phone gets the DHCP option to move to VLAN5, but never reaches server.

Each port in all cases is:

• Switchport Trunk
  • Native VLAN1 
  • Allow VLAN5 (Phone)
  • Allow (other VLANs)

I have triple checked my upstream ports and uplink ports on the CBS250's to ensure VLAN5 is tagged/allowed all the way up.

I did try to use General port mode instead of Trunk due to this thread: Solved: Cisco phones on Cisco CBS250 switch - Cisco Community

If I connect to an Access port VLAN5 it gets the right IP subnet from DHCP, so I know things CAN talk on VLAN5.  

Sample from switchport

Name: gi9
Switchport: enable
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: up
Access Mode VLAN: 1
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1
Trunking VLANs: 1,3,5
General PVID: 1
General VLANs: none
General Egress Tagged VLANs: none
General Forbidden VLANs: none
General Ingress Filtering: enabled
General Acceptable Frame Type: all
General GVRP status: disabled
Customer Mode VLAN: none

7 Replies 7

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

The (different) switch which has a phone and working is:

Name: gi10
Switchport: enable
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: up
Access Mode VLAN: 1
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1
Trunking VLANs: 1,5
General PVID: 1
General VLANs: none
General Egress Tagged VLANs: none
General Forbidden VLANs: none
General Ingress Filtering: enabled
General Acceptable Frame Type: all
General GVRP status: disabled
Customer Mode VLAN: none

All switches:

#show macro auto ports detail
Administrative Globally Auto SmartPort is disabled
Operational Globally Auto SmartPort is disabled

#show voice vlan
Administrate Voice VLAN state is disabled
Operational Voice VLAN state is disabled

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have thoughts?  I dislike bumping my own thread, but - this shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Hi @JWSC 

Does the CBS250 that is working have the same version of those not working?  If you have one working switch and you have another one not working switch, if you can be sure they are configured the same way, the next thing I think is bug. 

If they have the same version the next thing  I would try is factory reset. 

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

Same firmware version on all switches.  You believe I have 2 switches that need to be factory defaulted to fix this?  I have 4 more CBS250's to unbox.  I will try one of those before I go that route.

I am not saying the factory reset will fix it for sure but it seems you put a lot of work on it and I dont believe the solution is something obvious. Looks like the switch is not behaving as it should and factory reset is an attempt. As they have the same version. 

At least the factory reset will give you a chance to start from scratch and maybe figure out if you did something wrong.  You can even consider export the config from the working one and import to the factory reset switch and change the necessary variables like IP, mask , etc. 

JWSC
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that you believe it will FIX it.  I meant to question that if I have 2 switches doing the same thing, is it reasonable to expect the same bug to impact both?

The Bug I would consider if they were in different version. Same version I dont believe this is a bug. But, the strange behavior could be fixed with factory reset and reconfigure. 

That would be my line of action. Rather than that , I would give Cisco a call.