cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100Mbps Metro-E & Cisco 1841

TheZman78
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 1841 running on a 10Mbps Metro-E connection. I recently signed an agreement for a 100Mbps Metro-E. I am wondering if I will need to purchase a new router to support this new connection or will my 1841 be able to handle the traffic.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

According to this link the forwarding capacity of an 1841 is about 38.40 Mb.  So, it is not close to 100Mb, but then again You know how much data is really passing through the router

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Please remember to tag your threads and help support "Teachers without Borders"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/idea-center/communityhelpingcommunity

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1841 comes with 2 onboard 10/100 Ethernet port.  So, you should be able to connect it to one of these ports.

HTH

I appreciate the quick reply. I know the interface will support the link but I am more concerned with the router supporting the traffic. We will probably never fully utilize the circuit, however, I want to make absolutely certain that the 1841 can handle the traffic from the 100Mbps link without any hiccups. Thank you again!

According to this link the forwarding capacity of an 1841 is about 38.40 Mb.  So, it is not close to 100Mb, but then again You know how much data is really passing through the router

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Please remember to tag your threads and help support "Teachers without Borders"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/idea-center/communityhelpingcommunity

HTH

Hi Andrew,

Answered the same on your other post. Kindly avoid duplicate post next time

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Good news, bad news . . .

Actually real production capacity of many Cisco devices is often higher than the forwarding bandwidth capacity specified since that is often quoted for minimum sized packets.  I.e. With "normal" traffic you're likely to be able to push more than 38.40 Mbps on an 1841.

However, forwarding bandwidth capacity is total, and WAN links (and most current Ethernet) is duplex.  For example, your 100 Mbps Metro Ethernet could want to push 200 Mbps through the device.  Further,  the forwarding capacity bandwidth doesn't account for additional "services", and such can dramatically impact actual capacity.  I've found if you divide the forwarding capacity by 4, you're usually okay.  So for your 38.40 Mbps, anything up to about 9.6 Mbps should be okay.  Your 1841 is unlikely to have had an issue with your 10 Mbps MetroE but I wouldn't recommend it for 100 Mbps.

I've attached a Cisco document that discusses performance of the 2900 and 3900 series ISRs.

PS:

BTW, if your not using any services that are found on routers vs. switches, you might find a small L3 switch, whether LAN variety or MetroE variety, suitable too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card