Views
Helpful
Replies

10GB Switch

billybong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've been asked for 250 ports each capable of 10gb to connect 125 HP servers, am i on the right path by saying 3 x Nexus 5596 switches will fulfill the requirements

Any information will be greatly received

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's one of many possible paths.  You need to refine your requirements beyond needing 250 10g ports.

For example, a 6807 can support 160 10g ports per chassis, there's the recently announced Catalyst 9K series where you can use a stack or chassis to provide 10g ports.  Within the Nexus series, you can also look at the other Nexus series models and/or using FEXs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's one of many possible paths.  You need to refine your requirements beyond needing 250 10g ports.

For example, a 6807 can support 160 10g ports per chassis, there's the recently announced Catalyst 9K series where you can use a stack or chassis to provide 10g ports.  Within the Nexus series, you can also look at the other Nexus series models and/or using FEXs.

Thanks for replying Joseph, I think the 6807 path might be a little expensive, with the 5596's do you know if i will require licenses

I'm not real knowledgeable about Nexus licensing, but I believe Nexus (as many other Cisco devices) uses features licenses, if so, it would depend what you what the devices to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card