Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 VTP Domain on a VSS of 2 switch ???

Hello everyone,

Recently my company merged with another and now we've to think again about all our network.

For that we've bought two 4500-x with 16 10gbe ports. With those two switch I've made a VSS.

Our new network is actually made with two completely separated network (by chance, they don't use the same IPv4 private class, but they have each a VTP domain and their VLANs) and we're going to let them separated but for the IT operations we're going to connect them via VRF and contrel them with some ACLs.

Our VSS of 4500-x will be used to route the vlan of each network between them. How can I transmit the good vlan (via VTP), to the good network ?

Is there any way to configure 2 VTP server on my Switch ??

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi!

You can´t put two VTP domains on the same chassis, with or without VSS.

You must configure your VSS as VTP Server and define there all the VLANs you need, and renumber the repeated one.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I am confused.

Can you diagram the whole network topology for us?

Are you using the 4500x's as distribution switches and just connecting their access switches to them as well as yours??

Here's a draft of our topology, the new one isn't done yet.

I want to precise that actually those 2 networks are separated, and the purpose of the VSS of 4500-x is to connect those two networks only for the IT management.

Actually on each network a Cisco 3750 is the router of is network and we do Inter-VLANs routing. Those two 3750 will be remplaced by the 4500.

Each network has is own VTP Domain, with his own VLAN.

What I want to know is if there's a way to define two VTP Domain on our 4500, one for each network.

Like on my topology, in the networks the same VLAN (number) is used for different function and that's why I want 2 differents VTP Domain.

The 4500 will do the Inter-VLANs routing of each network and the two network will be routed (only for the IT management) via VRF.

Maybe I'm not clear but It's the first time I go further in networking configuration...

Thanks for your help !

Hi!

You can´t put two VTP domains on the same chassis, with or without VSS.

You must configure your VSS as VTP Server and define there all the VLANs you need, and renumber the repeated one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card