cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 compact flash disk

mike.moyer20001
Level 1
Level 1

My cisco 2811 compact flash card went out and I bought a new one. And my router is stuck in rommon and I can not format compact flash. And some one said to format on the PC and then I need to copy the system file from a working compact flash disk.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

I would say if this didnt work try FAT16

I am assuming you have a external card reader?

Then take a flash card from another router ( if applicable) and copy the bin flie over to the new card.

@karsten -  FYI - I have had in the past to format my 2811 flash(s)  FAT16 as I found FAT32 didnt work for me.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

You can format the card with FAT32 and directly copy the IOS-image to the card. With that you can boot and start to paste in a backup of your config. Be aware that the router might not recognize CF-cards with big capacity. At least 1GB cards are working here without problems. 

Hello

I would say if this didnt work try FAT16

I am assuming you have a external card reader?

Then take a flash card from another router ( if applicable) and copy the bin flie over to the new card.

@karsten -  FYI - I have had in the past to format my 2811 flash(s)  FAT16 as I found FAT32 didnt work for me.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I was pretty confident that it has to be FAT32, but now I'm doubtful ... I'll look at my 2811 when I'm again in the office.

mike.moyer20001
Level 1
Level 1

where do you find source to get another working router to copy the the system file. And after format the CF card in window or linux. You still need system file to put your ISO on CF.

Hello

If you dont have access to another working router running the same ios that is to be used on yor new flash card, then you can download it from CCO providing you have privleges to do so.

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card