cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2951 not booting up

bstrubeTD3
Level 1
Level 1

When I use a serial cable on my 2951, I get the following (I am attaching a screenshot because it does not show up when I copy and paste) :

01-627503:~ bstrube$ screen /dev/tty.usbserial

I am attached by USB serial connection to the 2951 from a Mac. I have tried the Ctrl-Break sequem=nces and nothing works.

Any help is appreciated. 

7 Replies 7

Hello,

you are using screen ? Make sure you are using baud rate 9600 (see the doc below for instructions).

You could also try Minicom...

https://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html

Yes I using baud of 9600. What else could it be?

the command I typed was screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600.  I hav used screen on other routers and the boot process comes up fine and I do not have to put the 9600 in. I have used screen on 2921's and 3825's. It is just this 2951 that I am getting this.

Hello,

have you tried to reset the 2951 to factory defaults ?

https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/cisco/cisco-2951-factory-reset/

I have tried the ctrl break sequences. This is a 2951 phone router. The front part of the diagram on the page you reference looks like my router but the back part does not look like it at all. I do not see a reset on it anywhere.

Hello,

you probably have an ISR G1 router...

Either way, do you have a Windows PC and Putty with which you can try one of the reset procedures ?

The CF of the 2951 are located at the back behind a "cover". Eject the CF and pop it into a multi-card reader. The config file of the router should be in the CF. Edit the file. Return the CF back. Power up normally.

how long have you waited for this to finish?

I would suggest this is a normal boot process, where the device is loading the image. this may take some time!

it may be the image is still compressed so it will take longer to load than an uncompressed image.

alternatively you can try to use the micro-usb port and cable instead of the serial cable and usb dongle?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card