Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-S lanbase license upgrade IOS from 12 to 15

jacek.jagielka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I think this is a fairly easy question, but I can't find a direct answer anywhere.

We have a bunch 2960-S switches running the IOS 12, can I freely upgrade them to the IOS 15?

I need to stack the devices with X switches which are running the IOS 15 version.

All 2960-S switches have lanbase, life time and permanent licenses.

Thank You in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes main thing to check when moving from 12 - 15 is that you have enough dram and flash in the switch for 15, some version 15 ios images require more dram than the 12s if that's not right  it wont boot.

If your stacking switches best to make sure your running exact same images to avoid missing any features between the major/minor numbers in the code , these dont match you can have issues

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes main thing to check when moving from 12 - 15 is that you have enough dram and flash in the switch for 15, some version 15 ios images require more dram than the 12s if that's not right  it wont boot.

If your stacking switches best to make sure your running exact same images to avoid missing any features between the major/minor numbers in the code , these dont match you can have issues

Nice, thank You for the information.

How can I check the dram and flash requirements of IOS and counter-check the availability on the switches?

easiest way to see it type dir in your switch or show flash take the full name of the image c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin and put it into google with download in front of it  , it will bring you to a download page for that image , on the right hand side where you see download button you will see dram and flash requirements , so below dram 256 flash 64 that will tell you what you currently are able to take usually and then just check the newer image same page and it will show you what that requires

check with the image you have and the image your going to download and

IP BASE WITH WEB BASED DEV MGR 
c3750e-ipbasek9-tar.122-55.SE9.tar
18-MAR-2014 256 / 64

you can also work it out from the show version usually and the dir

dir count 6 back will give you the mbs

27998208 bytes total (18043904 bytes free)

show version

add the 2 together

Cisco 7204VXR (NPE-G2) processor (revision A) with 917504K/65536K bytes of memory.

=983040k which is around 125mb = DRAM

Nice, so it seems that I'm safe, the old images (never updated) have the same requirements as the new ones.

I have a lot of similar switches, some of them are 24 ports, the others are 48 ports and I noticed that the IOS images contain only the product line like 2960s in the name.

Are the images all the same for the switches? (It's what I would assume but better play safe and download each one for the right switch)

yes exactly generally you will see the same ios is available for different types of the same platform but you should always download it from correct platform page on the website to be sure , mostly the different types of platforms e/s/x etc at the end of the name is to do with the hardware differences not software

Thank You, now "everything" is clear to me.

I've upgraded 3 different switches already without any problems (and stress) :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card