Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s limitation of ethernet cable length

Neetu Bhushan
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

i just noticed today that i have a client in my manufacturing with about 300 feet connected to my switch, a laptop on the generator maintenance.  how far is the guide line i can have for a switch like 2960s?  i think i had this on my exam before in CCNA that a long cable could slow down the network.

Also, is there a utility that i could use if my switch are having those slow connectivity.

thanks for any comment you may add, more power y'all.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Copper Ethernet standards call for up to 100 meters.  If the environment has much electromagnetic "noise", you might not make that distance unless you have well shielded cable.  If you run Ethernet on "better" cable than it needs for the Ethernet "speed", you can sometime eke out some more distance.

The 2960 shouldn't matter much, vs. any other device.  Longer distances usually degrade the quality of the received frame, and if it's corrupted, slows the effective transfer speeds as frames need to be retransmitted.

As switches regenerate frames, an unmanaged 4 port switch, place in-line half way, might be an inexpensive solution to improve end-to-end transmissions.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen copper cabling run >100 metres but the speed you'll get is 10 Mbps only.  100 metres guarantees you have 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card