cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S Stack Member Priorities

sdrawkcab
Level 1
Level 1

I've been looking for a clear answer as to what defines a "higher priority" on the stack members.

Reading through the documentation for stack configuration and master election, It is unclear to me if a lesser integer or greater integer constitutes a higher priority. More simply put, is 1 the highest priority, or is 15 the highest priority possible?

Member Priority Values

A high priority value for a member increases the chance that it will be elected master and keep its member number. The priority value can be 1 to 15. The default priority value is 1.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swstack.html#wp1153255

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Reading through the documentation for stack configuration and master election, It is unclear to me if a lesser integer or greater integer constitutes a higher priority. 

Priority "15" is the highest value or priority.  A switch with a stack priority of "15" means "no election".  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Reading through the documentation for stack configuration and master election, It is unclear to me if a lesser integer or greater integer constitutes a higher priority. 

Priority "15" is the highest value or priority.  A switch with a stack priority of "15" means "no election".  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card