Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Switch Booting Loop

WakeL
Level 1
Level 1

Afternoon all, 

I have a stack of 5 switches currently running IOS version c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-7.E5.tar. After a power outage on site the whole stack was down, upon reboot we lost switch 2. Now I have tried replacing the switch twice, as well as the stacking modules & cables for each of the switches in the stack but I've still not been unable to re-introduce switch 2 into the stack. The switch works as expected as a standalone switch but ideally, I want it back in the stack. Any suggestions?...

The boot process looks to be normal but after the stack master election step is complete we get the below error message and it re-starts the whole boot process...

" %Software-forced reload

20:07:49 UTC Wed Oct 5 2022: Unexpected exception to CPUvector 2000, PC = 3B8B3C8
-Traceback= 0x3B8B3C8z 0x2D6D204z 0x2D57808z 0x2D589BCz 0x3DCF81Cz 0x3425484z 0x3537104z 0x7F2598z 0x1E02E78z 0x136C298z 0x17FC84z 0x136C298z 0x137ABA8z 0x137AF54z 0x137B034z 0x7F3BB0z

Writing crashinfo to flash:/crashinfo_ext/crashinfo_ext_1 "

Searches online keep pointing me to Bug "CSCvf46629" but as I have a different IOS version and VTP transparent is already configured I don't believe these a related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Open a ticket with Cisco and send them the crash file you have on flash. They will be able to analyze it and recommend an IOS downgrade or upgrade.

HTH

Thank you for your response. 

That was going to be my next step I just wanted to see if others have come across the same issue.

Regards

Sure! From what you posted,  "%Software-forced reload" is a result of an IOS bug in the version you are running, and TAC should be able to help in analyzing the issue.

HTH

Another indication that this is a software problem is the fact that the output contains a Traceback. Traceback is always a result of a software problem. It may not be the particular bug that you reference. But it is some bug.

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how long was the uptime before it was crashed, we have seen this issue, if the switch long uptime crashed due to unknown reason.

to get all stack back online as expected you need to take downtime, bring down the stack and boot the whole stack adding switch 2.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card