cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960XR IOS Upgrade choices and procedure

T_tow
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question so I am upgrading a WS-C2960XR-48FPS-I that is currently running version 15.0(2)EX1. I want to upgrade to 15.2.6E2.  My question is should I use the .tar or .bin? Also I have not been able to find the guide for this upgrade does any have a link to it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

the upgrade is the same for each version , if your using USB you just use command --copy usb:imagename.bin to flash:

that will take it off usb and put it into flash locally unless your booting off usb . 

boot system usb0:imagename.bin

then if its a .bin all you have to do is set the boot parameters in global config save and reload

boot system flash:imagename

copy run start

If your using .tar follow that guide , its same for each release of v 15

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
the Here is the link i would read it first carefully , youc an jump to that version no isuses , .tar or .bin is a preference , .tar will use less resources on upgrade but both will work fine

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/file_management/file_management/img_files.html

So I was looking to use an usb to upgrade and was actually looking for an existing upgrade/downgrade guide for this version. Thanks for the .bin .tar clarification.

Hi

the upgrade is the same for each version , if your using USB you just use command --copy usb:imagename.bin to flash:

that will take it off usb and put it into flash locally unless your booting off usb . 

boot system usb0:imagename.bin

then if its a .bin all you have to do is set the boot parameters in global config save and reload

boot system flash:imagename

copy run start

If your using .tar follow that guide , its same for each release of v 15

Hers exact release for your version your going to

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/connectedgrid/cg-switch-sw-master/software/release/notes/rn-15-2-6e.html#32350

Upgrading the Switch Software

These are the procedures for downloading software. Before downloading software, read these sections for important information:

■Finding the Software Version and Feature Set

■Deciding Which Files to Use

■IOS/IOx Upgrade Considerations

■Archiving Software Images

■Upgrading a Switch by Using the CLI

■Installation Notes

Ok sounds good yeah I wasn't to sure if the actual install command was different but this was helpful thanks. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card