cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 Tier Network

lttlnnj
Level 1
Level 1

I am creating a 3 tier network for a "company" for my school project. On access layer, i'm gonna use 2960. And on distro & core layer, i'll use 3560. Would it be possible to use 2960 on distro or should I stick to 3560. 

I have sort of plan but im not sure if its right so please correct me if im wrong.

On distro layer - ill create SVI for each VLAN, make the ports(distro to access) a trunk. And configure spanning tree.

While on access layer make the ports trunk(access to layer) and make the port access going to PC/devices.

What protocols do I have to consider for my core layer? So far im considering etherchannel from distro to core and configure OSPF. Any more things to consider? Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I didn't find users count and what type of traffic on the network. As you mentioned that this is a school then I can assume there will many VR, Video library, Virtual library, Chromebook etc. 

Now come on second options. Cisco switches 3560 is EOL and not available in the market (only old and used available at some places) and this is not advisable to use as core switches.  You can go with 9300 series and 3850 (will soon EOL) as distribution. And the best suggestion for the core is Cisco 4500/6500/5K series or you can go with 3850 if this will small network. 

If it is a small network then you can merge your core and distribution layer. It will save money and full fill your requirement.

If you have critical servers, many users, in your data center then you have to consider as a sperate server farm and it will connect to the core layer. 

Q: On distro layer - ill create SVI for each VLAN, make the ports(distro to access) a trunk. And configure spanning tree.

Ans: Yes you can make it.

Q: While on access layer make the ports trunk(access to layer) and make the port access going to PC/devices.

Ans: Your Uplink ports must as trunk port and A port which is connected to PC will access or trunk as your requirement.

Q: What protocols do I have to consider for my core layer? So far im considering etherchannel from distro to core and configure OSPF. Any more things to consider? Thanks!

Ans: If you are Cisco fan and having all devices with Cisco then I recommended to EIGRP otherwise you can go with OSPF. First, think about routing. Are you familiar with EIGRP/OSPF? 

If it is small network and you can go with static routing also. 

Q. What about stacking?

Ans: If it possible then you have to go with Stacking, especially in Core/Distribution layer. Try to go with stacking in access layer also.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

Hi,

You should use the 3560 as your dist/core switch, it will be used in order to create the LAN's gateways, it supports routing capability in order to interconnect your LANs with other remote networks. 

You cannot execute routing between the 2960 and 3560, but if you are going to interconnect the 3650 with other routers you could use EIGRP or OSPF, but it depends of the size of the network otherwise you can use static routing. 

Etherchannel between the Cisco 2960 and 3560 must be layer 2. because the 2960 support layer 2 capabilities only. 

Now if you are considering to provide internet access to your LAN's, you need a router or firewall because NAT is not supported on the most of Catalyst switches, it is supported on robust Catalyst switches like 65xx, 68xx or 9K only.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I didn't find users count and what type of traffic on the network. As you mentioned that this is a school then I can assume there will many VR, Video library, Virtual library, Chromebook etc. 

Now come on second options. Cisco switches 3560 is EOL and not available in the market (only old and used available at some places) and this is not advisable to use as core switches.  You can go with 9300 series and 3850 (will soon EOL) as distribution. And the best suggestion for the core is Cisco 4500/6500/5K series or you can go with 3850 if this will small network. 

If it is a small network then you can merge your core and distribution layer. It will save money and full fill your requirement.

If you have critical servers, many users, in your data center then you have to consider as a sperate server farm and it will connect to the core layer. 

Q: On distro layer - ill create SVI for each VLAN, make the ports(distro to access) a trunk. And configure spanning tree.

Ans: Yes you can make it.

Q: While on access layer make the ports trunk(access to layer) and make the port access going to PC/devices.

Ans: Your Uplink ports must as trunk port and A port which is connected to PC will access or trunk as your requirement.

Q: What protocols do I have to consider for my core layer? So far im considering etherchannel from distro to core and configure OSPF. Any more things to consider? Thanks!

Ans: If you are Cisco fan and having all devices with Cisco then I recommended to EIGRP otherwise you can go with OSPF. First, think about routing. Are you familiar with EIGRP/OSPF? 

If it is small network and you can go with static routing also. 

Q. What about stacking?

Ans: If it possible then you have to go with Stacking, especially in Core/Distribution layer. Try to go with stacking in access layer also.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi,

You should use the 3560 as your dist/core switch, it will be used in order to create the LAN's gateways, it supports routing capability in order to interconnect your LANs with other remote networks. 

You cannot execute routing between the 2960 and 3560, but if you are going to interconnect the 3650 with other routers you could use EIGRP or OSPF, but it depends of the size of the network otherwise you can use static routing. 

Etherchannel between the Cisco 2960 and 3560 must be layer 2. because the 2960 support layer 2 capabilities only. 

Now if you are considering to provide internet access to your LAN's, you need a router or firewall because NAT is not supported on the most of Catalyst switches, it is supported on robust Catalyst switches like 65xx, 68xx or 9K only.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card