Views
Helpful
Replies

3560-X connectivity issue only solved after Power-off / on

mmelendezdiez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to ask you if you have had the same issue as me with this switch and this version.

3560-X 24PS with the IOS 12.2(58)SE2 Universal with ip base license

I have got the same issue with two switches in different sites. And I have solved this issue only when I have rebooted the switch.

This is the issue:

Configured 2 ports on switch 3560-X as trunks ( dot1q ), to connect to other two switches, as the following configuration

interface GigabitEthernet0/23 and GigabitEthernet0/24

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,20,21,1000

switchport mode trunk

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

auto qos trust

At the first moment all works fine ( I had the cables connected before power on the switch ), but when I have removed the cable from the port 0/24 and put it again, I can see that I have lost connectivity in this port.

- The port was UP

- Speed and duplex auto ( ok )

- The trunk was up with the vlans allowed

- Spanning-tree was ok, the port in Forwarding and the switch can see the root.

But For this port  0/24

- I can not see the other switch by cdp ( no cdp neighbor on port 0/24 but i can see neighbor on port 0/23 )

- No conectivity for this port. No ping

After that, I have taken the cable from port 0/24 to port 0/23 and port 0/23 works fine. Port 0/23 see the other switch and have connectivity.--> so it looks like the cable and configuration was fine.

I taked the cable from port 0/23 to port 0/24 and the Port 0/24 doesnt work.

So cables was good. And something strange happened on port 0/24 when I removed the cable the first time.

Step 1 to try solve the problem :

- Delete configuration on port 0/24 and write it again --> Not solved the problem. Port UP, trunk up, spanning-tree ok, but no cdp neighbour neither connectivity.

Step 2 to try to solve the problem :

- Change cable

Step 3 that solved the problem:

- Poweroff / on the switch without change anything on configurations.

After the switch was up, all works fine.

As I told you, this is the second time I have the same problem in different sites but with the same switch 3560-X and the same IOS.

I have not seen any bug on Cisco web.

Did you see this behaviour in your switches ? I am not sure if it is a problem on 3560-X or the IOS.

Thanks for your help.

Miguel

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try downgrading the IOS to 12.2(55)SE6.

Hi Leolaohoo,

The problem is that this behaviour not always appeared. So if I downgrade the version and there is no issue, it doesn´t mean that the issue is solved.

I have got 30 switches 3560-X installed in the same client, and I have had this issue only in 2 of them. And always the only solution was power off the switch.

I have wrote this message to know if this issue is more extensive and if someone know if it is due to a ios bug.

Up to now,  I could not see anything in Cisco Web about this issue.

Many thanks Leolaohoo

I've used (past tense) IOS versions 15.0(1)SE and 15.0(2)SE.  All my "E" and "X" switches are running 12.2(55)SE6 because there were just too many things going wrong with this IOS.  From crashes to tracebacks to high CPU.  After three months, we downgraded.  No more issues after that.

So, 15.0 is not a good choice to upgrade.

For your experiece 12.2(55)SE6 looks a stable IOS.

I believed that IOS 12.2(58)SE2 was a good choice due to it is from 27 July 2011.

If I have the issue again, I will try to downgrade the IOS to 12.2(55)SE6 and verify.

Many thanks leolaohoo.

For your experiece 12.2(55)SE6 looks a stable IOS.

I've got 3560E/X and 3750E/X running layer 2/3 and I've downgraded them from 15.0(1)SE and 15.0(2)SE to 12.2(55)SE6.

There were some TAC guys (who post in the forum too) who also agreed with my findings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: