Views
Helpful
Replies

3560G Stack Configuration

mohankumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

i have 2 no of  3560G in our core,  now my requirement is to establish the redunent network like for the edge 2960G

using stack or some other way ...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In this case 2 one is not an issue , but only thing is the Stack Configuration at Core

You cannot stack either the 3560G or the 2960G.

Only the 2960S, 3750 and 3850 can be stacked to form one logical switch chassis.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

thnk for your reply

My design is such. I use Cisco 2960G's and 3560G's at my access layer. To route between the VLANs I use the 3560G's.

1. i need to make  the core of my network is a stack of 3750G's (2no's) that my servers are plugged into.
  2. also have my access layer switches 2960G  connected to the core through portchannels.

In this case 2 one is not an issue , but only thing is the Stack Configuration at Core

• what is procedure to do that ?

You cannot stack either the 3560G or the 2960G.

Only the 2960S, 3750 and 3850 can be stacked to form one logical switch chassis.

hi

instead of this stack

how make the redunency in core using two number of 3560G

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

instead of this stack 

how make the redunency in core using two number of 3560G

Minimally, you run a link from each edge L2 switch to each L3 switch.  If you have the same VLAN across multiple edge switches, you'll have L2 loops, for which you'll need STP to logically keep from forming.  (As a rule you normally want STP enabled.)  You'll also want to set root bridge to be primary on one L3 switch and secondary on the other L3 switch.

Then you run HSRP on the (3560G) L3 switches.

Normally you also run a link between the two L3 switches.  This link might be just L3 or it might be L2  (L2 cross connect provides another L2 redundant path - often done to insure L2 between the two L3s.)  With the L2 cross connect (often a trunk), you'll need to consider L2 traffic flows between the HSRP GW and return traffic.  Also normally you treat one L3 as the hot for all traffic and the secondary as a warm standby, but you can also, but using HSRP priorities and STP root priorities, load balance VLANs across the two L3 cores.  (Some platforms also support GLBP, but the 3560s do not.)

When working with two L3 switches, it's possible to run into unicast flooding.  This can be avoided by design and/or mitigate by insuring the ARP and MAC table timers are the same.

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

When you connect the switches via the stack cables and when they power up the switches will go into a switch election to elect who will be master. Once this is done and the switches are in the stack, then it's recommended to set priorities to know which switch is the master.

More information can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Make sure you refer to the cabling considerations for building a stack:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/hardware/installation/guide/HIGINSTL.html#wp1151513

Hope this helps.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card