Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Swicth - Routing

tomd54321
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

So, I'm not normally a network engineer :) But have found myself in this most gracious position!

I have this environment that I need to route IP across the switches. Basically, I have VM host server that has three network connections.

NIC0 = 192.168.70.0/24 VLAN 100

NIC1 and NIC2 = teamed onto 192.168.71.0/24 VLAN 120

Don't let the teaming confuse things... In troubleshooting I have removed all the teaming configuration and made things as simple as possible.

The problem is that while logged in to the switch I can ping interfaces on the server in both VLANs. But I cannot ping from one endpoint to the other.

I have the VLANs defined, the vlan interfaces have ip addresses and I have 'ip routing' in the config.  Is this all that is required? Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maybe the endpoints don't have default gateways configured? :)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

By default the 3750 is a layer-2 switch.  Now that you want to route between vlans (layer-3) you need to add this command to the switch:

config t

ip routing

exit

wr

and now test again between the end points.

HTH

Hello Reza,

"I have the VLANs defined, the vlan interfaces have ip addresses and I have 'ip routing' in the config.  Is this all that is required?"

This is not working. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Can you post "sh run" and "sh vlan" and point out what interfaces connect to these servers?

And a "show version" would be nice too.

Maybe the endpoints don't have default gateways configured? :)

Thank you all for everything.

Late last night, I had this flash of inspiration to check the gateway on the device that isn't working and lo and behold, it was configured incorrectly. This makes ivaideanu answer closest to the resolution. 

Cheers

Tom

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card