Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Switch Stack Partition

chinmaigairola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the current set up I have a LAN stack of 5 3750 switches configured as an access stack. As per the requirement I need to partition the current 5 switch stack into two individual stacks of 3 & 2 switches respectively. Kindly let me know the step by step process withh all the necessary commands, reloads and reconnections. I purpose to do it by changing the priority of current member switch to 15 so that its elected as Master in the new partitioned switch stack. But not sure what all steps required and in which order. Please help.

1 Reply 1

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

i ll give it a try. I assume that in the stack of the 5 switches they are numbered 1-5 and that they have the correct priorities set. (if not let me know!!) You can check it with"show switch"

if so then you do not need to do anything with switch 1-3 as they wil form a stack again and their interface numbers stay the same.

Rest of the steps:

- remove stack cables.

- console into the 4th switch

- go to config mode and enter: switch 4 renumber 1 and reload the switch (this will be switch 1 of the new stack)

- save

- wait till the booted, go to config mode again and enter: no switch 4 provi

- enter: switch 1 prio 15

save the config. Note that the interfaces of this switch changed from 4 to 1, so interface Gi 4/0/1 is now Gi 1/0/1, because of renumbing the switch to 1.

- console into the 5th switch

- go to config mode and enter: switch 5 renumber 2 and reload the switch  (this will be switch 2 of the new stack)

- save

- wait till the booted, go to config mode again and enter: no switch 5 provi

- enter: switch 2 prio 13

save the config. Note that the interfaces of this switch changed from 5 to 2, so interface Gi 5/0/1 is now Gi 2/0/1,

because of renumbing the switch to 1.

Power off the 2 switches and stack them again with the cables

Power on the switches, you will now get a stack of 2 switches.

As for the first 3 switches, you can stack them again and power them on and you re done. That is, if in the stack of the 5 switches, these 3 switches had their switch number and prio set correct, they will form a stack (of 3)

Hope its clear.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card