Views
Helpful
Replies

3750E + 3750G stack ios upgrade

jschweng
Level 1
Level 1

We have a switch stack which is a WS-C3750E-24PD  stacked with a WS-C3750G-12S

the 3750E switch has the universal ios version 12.2.50(SE3) installed and an ip services license

the 3750G switch has ios version 12.2.50(SE3) ipservices.

when I stacked them together i updated the ios individually and then stacked them.

we need to update to a newer ios version now

do i have to break the stack and upagrade them individually again?

7 Replies 7

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

++ I believe the licenses should be same in the both the switches. The whole purpose of forming a stack is to work as a single logical switch.

++ So if one switch supports one feature and the other switch supports other feature, then there could be a performance  issue.

++ So i strongly suggest to install a license which is common to all the switches in the stack.

Once you have the license common, you can upgrade the IOS as a whole rather than performing individually.

In 3750X switches, they will not join the stack if the licenses are different.

yes, you should upgrade them individually otherwise it will not form stack since the licenses are different.

You will not see the other switch as stack member in show sw detail output.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

thanks = that kind of answer the question

Its just that teh 3750E siwtches use the universal code and then you install a specific license key for ip services.

the 3750G uses the standard ip servcies ios. There is no license key.

So you are saying that I have to break teh switches apart and upgrade them individually?

Hi,

i wont suggest to break the switches apart and to upgrade them individually.

I would rather install ip services in 3750E switches so that the entire stack will uniformly run

ipservices license.

Again it is left to your discretion since you know your network topology and the type of service you are using.

It is just my kind suggestion.:)

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

ok thanks - but cisco decided to do teh licensing on 3750E switches differentlly

you install a universal ios then buy the license keys which are installed seperately.

its running ip services as the other switch is.

If i did upgrade them together then what code would I put on them - the universal code or the regular ipsercies ios?

Hi,

The advantage of using universal code is it depends on the license you have and it will run with the license.

++ show license detail --> this command output will show the license which is currently in use.

If you have ipservices IOS then you can run only ip services license and in future if you want to run ipbase license then

you need to change the code to ipbase.

'Whereas in universal code u dont need to change the code. simply change the license.

Imp commands:

Show license [all/detail]

Show license udi

Show version | in license|License

Show license feature

License install flash:filename.lic

License boot level feature-set

License clear license-level (ex: license clear ipservices)

Hope this helps

cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

ok thanks - My real question is if I have to unstack them and upgrade the ios on the two stacked switches seperately?

Since one has the universal ios

if they were upgraded as a stack what ios would I download

thanks

Hi,

++ if the licenses are the same in all the switches, you can upgrade using a .tar image and using "archive-download sw" you can install the IOS in all the switches in the stack from the master switch.

++ You can also upgrade using a .bin image, but you need to  manually copy the image to all switches flash and need to set boot variable. Whereas the "archive-download sw command" will do all these tasks for you provided if you are using the .tar image.

Link for upgrading IOS in 3750 using tar as well as .bin image:

============================================

-http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps502/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card