Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    1 30    WS-C3750X-24       12.2(58)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

Now, I wanted to add new cisco 3750x switch in existing stack
details as below,

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              
*    1 30    WS-C3750X-24       12.2(58)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

Can I stack my new switch c3750x with existing c3750g stack.

Thanks,

Arvind.

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arvind,

Yes you can connect this switch to the existing stack.

1.       It will work at 32Gbps - stackwise mode

2.       Needs the same IOS for entire stack

3.       running the same exact software and feature set on both

One thing to consider here is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

"

The Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series Switches with LAN Base feature set can only stack with other Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series LAN Base switches. A mixed stack of LAN Base switch with IP Base or IP Services features set is not supported."

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate if this helpfull.

hi Inayath,

Thanks for your reply,

When I try to change IOS in my new switch cisco 3750X switch  which is C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M with existing stack IOS is C3750-IPSERVICES-M gives me followin error,

'' Hardware is not compatible with firmware '' and new switch started resetting.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The physical IOS images are different for the original 3750 series and the later E/X series.  You want the same IOS version, but you'll need different images for your new 3750X vs. the existing 3750G stack.

HI Joseph,

Thanks for reply,

You mean I required same version i.e 12.2(53)SE of existing stack on new c3750X switch. The IOS of new switch 3750X may be different but should have the same version.

Correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks,

Arvind.

Hi Arvind,

You got it. This is been recorded on my previous update and also by joseph.

regards

Inayath.

hi,

Inayath ,

I am finding the IOS for new 3750X switch on cisco site i.e c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin , but it's version showing 12.2 (53) SE2 will it work.

I am not able to find the same version of IOS i.e.12.2 ( 53) SE

Thanks & Regards,

Arvind.

-> Yes the required 12.2(53)SE2 is not there for 3750X devices.

->  Probably you can use the version which you are seeing you should not face any issue.

->You can use mixed hardware and form the stack.

Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)

Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

It is always good that if you use same IOS feature set, but Switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches)

If you have different image for two different switch, you need to upgrade the switches seperately.

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

But recommended to have the same software version.

NOTE: IOS version 12.2(53)SE and later, which includes 12.2(53)SE2, is not a very good version.  You may want to reconsider upgrading both to 12.2(55)SE6

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: