Jesus Carrillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody!

Can someone help me out please?

I have two 3750g switches in an IDF rm.

Switch 1= 48 port switch

Switch 2= 24 port switch

I have the IDF copper uplink coming in a copper port (trunk mode) in switch one.

I then have a copper uplink going from switch 1 to switch 2 both are trunk mode ports.

When I unplug and then plug back in the uplink going to switch 2 for troubleshooting purposes, all copper ports in switch 1 (these are access mode ports) turn amber after the uplink for switch 2 status light turns green. When this happens i loose connectivity for all amber ports. Then after a minute the status lights go back to green.

I noticed that if I configure the uplink for switch 2 to access mode and do the same scenario, everthing looks normal. Its just when the upllink is set for trunk mode that the access mode ports turn amber and then green.

Is there something that I can check to stop this for happening?

Or is this somthing normal when having a copper uplink as a stack?

Thanks in advanced!

Chuy

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jesus,

That is not normal.  It appears that you have a loop somewhere in your network and spanning tree converges after you connect and reconnect a trunk link.

How many vlans do have?

Are these 2 switches connected to other devices/switches?

Can you provide more info on your design?

HTH

Hello Reza!

I have 5 vlans. I have the uplinks trunked.

6509 => 3750g 48 port (switch 01) => 3750g 24 port (switch 02)

6509=> Fiber=> 3750 switch 01 => copper cat6 => 3750g switch 02

6509 =>building A

3750g switch 01 AND 3750g switch 02 => IDF Building G

I found on switch 01 3750g in port 21 it had the err disable on it. What I did I shut down the port.

Then the internet browsing and pinging was much better.

After testing the copper line in port 21 I found out that pins 4 and 5 were not showing on the test.

I re-crimp the patch cord for this line and after doing this and enabling the port everything came back to normal.

Im hoping that this was causing the problem.

Chuy

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please post the output to the command "sh interface status err".

Hello Leo,

I was able to re-crimp a non working data drop that was not passing the copper test. After doing this, the err disabled cleared.

Im hoping that this was causing the problem in making the internet and other programs to work slowly.

Thanks,

Chuy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card