cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x Physical / Hardware Flash Removal

Brandon James
Level 1
Level 1

Would anyone know where or how to locate the hardware module for flash on a cisco 3750x Switch? My organization has a failed switch that we will get replaced through an RMA. However, because the current configuration on the device is sensitive, I would like to remove the flash module from the mainboard so that in the event the device is recovered, it will not be possible to get access to the configuration.

I've spent a couple of hours searching for hardware diagrams with no luck. I don't see any specific modules on the mainboard labled as "flash" or anything else that sticks out to me. I don't want to remove every component and if I did there would still be the chance that it is soldered directly to the board. If soldering is the case, I will just destroy the entire board.

Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm 90% confident it wont be a removable part.  If you damage the motherboard smashing it off don't expect to be able to RMA it - Cisco will invoice you.  It will be obvious the device has been physically damaged.

The closest you might be able to do is expose it to high levels of RF (like a radar) and try and wipe it externally that way.  Be careful not to burn the switch if you do it - otherwise you might get a bill from Cisco again.

If if is that sensitive - you need to be buying a new switch and physically destroying the old one yourself.

Philip, Thank you for your response. I will put some research into the RF theory. I was trying to keep my question as simple as possible, but Cisco has a local destruction policy for my situation, I have already received approval to keep my failed device and destroy it in place.

I want to believe that over time I will keep running into this issue and I prefer not to keep doing a local destruction but instead return more of the product back to Cisco. My thinking goes along the line that if Cisco can get part of the product back, they can refurbish or do what ever they want with it, more money in their pockets and in theory the less their products cost as they are not passing the cost along. ...I know, generous thinking on my part.  With that said, if I can do something as simple as removing a flash module (with Cisco's approval) and return everything else, it works out best for everyone.

I will of course pose this question to the TAC next time I need to process an RMA.

Thanks,

Brandon

Ahh - the problem is you are thinking like an engineer, not a sales person.

Pricing is set based on what will maximise revenue - and not based on the cost of manufacturer.

Even if it was based on the cost of manufacture, a large chunk of the cost is "intellectual property", and not the physical hardware itself.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card