cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 cluster enable

janf
Level 1
Level 1

Standardized on the 3850X over the 3750X and have noticed that they don't have any cluster commands available and do not show up as cluster candidates. We use this to provision switches remotely when we don't have resources to console in locally.

Anyone know if cluster functionality is on the road map for the 3850X?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Switch clustering is an antiquated feature that has long been superseded by switch stacking. 

In a few months, around April 2016, there will be a new type of "switch stacking" which may be very similar to switch clustering.  

LOL you missed the point completely Leo! Been stacking 3750/3850's for years. The only reason I want clustering is so that I can remotely configure an unconfigured switch. Once that task is compete I delete the cluster.

The only reason I want clustering is so that I can remotely configure an unconfigured switch.

Ahhhhh ... Well, that method has also been superseded by ZeroTouch SmartInstall (aka "Look ma, no hands!).

Leo, just read your post about that zerotouch feature and although it sounds good from a marketing standpoint it looks way to convoluted and judging from all the others questions and answers it just sounds like it is not ready for prime time. Lots of bugs and manual interactions. Wish Cisco would provide a simple method for the one-offs like we deal with at remote sites. The cluster/rcommand feature really fit the bill for us.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card