cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 product questions

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

I have done a quick reading of the newer 3850 since I think we will start moving towards them (currently use the 3750x/e mainly everywhere.

From what I gather from model comparisons the   "U" supports the 60watt per port power, the  "X" means 100,1,2.5,5,10 Gb speeds, the "W" means wireless controller support code included, the "S" means SFP support and "XS" means 10Gb SFP+ support.. 

There are quite a lot of model choices to choose from that are all stackable.  Pretty impressive set of switches!!

Questions....

1. DO any of the 3750 network modules (like the 2-10Gb SFP+ ones) work in a 3850? The size looks close but knowing Cisco they are probably not compatible.

2. Is this 100,1,2.5,5,10 multiport speed a standard or a Cisco thing?  If I install CAT6A cabling and attach a device with a copper 10Gb interface will it connect to the Cisco switch or will only another Cisco device support this "multiport" interface?  I have been bitten too many times in the past making what I thought were obvious assumptions with Cisco equipment that turned out badly!  I no longer trust the marketing writeups since they leave out important negative details.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

what models support 10Gb copper interfaces to other devices..other than WAPS.....as the product literature implies. 

Since Cisco started with routers and switches, they've been making proprietary standards and then submitting it to the IEEE standards committee to get it ratified into industry-wide standard.  A good example is ISL encapsulation which finally became 802.1q standard.  Another one is LWAP Cisco proprietary standard which finally became CAPWAP industry standard. 

Same thing with mGIG.  It's currently a Cisco proprietary standard but pretty soon every manufacturer of 802.11ac wave 2 wireless access point will need to use mGIG.  I'd say in the next two to three years the IEEE standards committee will ratify mGIG into an industry-wide standard.  

What models if any of the 3850 would support this type of connection??

Sky's the limit.  Whatever device that can harmoniously support mGIG can use this.  As of now, only Cisco wireless access points (AP3800) and switches (3850 which support mGIG themselves) support mGIG.  I've heard rumours that some other new model of appliances coming out in March 2017 will support mGIG natively.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  The modules are incompatible.  

2.  Yes, it's a Cisco proprietary standard called mGIG.  Currently, it is meant to talk to APs that can support 802.11ac wave 2. 

Okay...now I am lost......what models support 10Gb copper interfaces to other devices..other than WAPS.....as the product literature implies.   I had a Netgear switch given to me to test that had a full set of 10Gb copper and SFP+ ports that allowed 10Gb connections to copper interfaces....like NAS etc.  What models if any of the 3850 would support this type of connection??

what models support 10Gb copper interfaces to other devices..other than WAPS.....as the product literature implies. 

Since Cisco started with routers and switches, they've been making proprietary standards and then submitting it to the IEEE standards committee to get it ratified into industry-wide standard.  A good example is ISL encapsulation which finally became 802.1q standard.  Another one is LWAP Cisco proprietary standard which finally became CAPWAP industry standard. 

Same thing with mGIG.  It's currently a Cisco proprietary standard but pretty soon every manufacturer of 802.11ac wave 2 wireless access point will need to use mGIG.  I'd say in the next two to three years the IEEE standards committee will ratify mGIG into an industry-wide standard.  

What models if any of the 3850 would support this type of connection??

Sky's the limit.  Whatever device that can harmoniously support mGIG can use this.  As of now, only Cisco wireless access points (AP3800) and switches (3850 which support mGIG themselves) support mGIG.  I've heard rumours that some other new model of appliances coming out in March 2017 will support mGIG natively.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card