cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Routing Capacity

jkennedy11111
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I've done some searching and haven't found any response that really speaks to my question, hence this post.

Question:

What is the routing capacity of a 3850?

Background:

Specifically we are using OSPF in our network. The OSPF "interface" is a L3 VLAN interface. Our SNMP monitoring systems are showing that this VLAN is peaking near its capacity of 1 gig. From reading elsewhere I understand that this measurement of 1 gig is used for its OSPF advertised routing metric, however is that also its actual routing capacity? The monitoring system appears to be plateauing at this 1 gig throughput, ramping up toward 1 gig and remaining steady for half of the day. This quantity of traffic is normal and expected for our usage, however I should think we have room for more routed traffic than 1 gig on this switch (stack).

We have had some reports of performance issues in relation to services on this device. If we are indeed hitting a limit, this could very well explain the symptoms felt.

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe the routing capacity should be the about same as the L2 capacity.  Mpps rate varys per model.

In this case we have this VLAN associated to two (2) 10 gig interfaces and one (1) 1 gig interface. Once I remove that VLAN from the 1 gig interface, should I expect that the VLAN IF "bandwidth" to increase from 1 gig to 10 gig?

No, the vlan bandwidth will not change.  To see the interface performance look at the physical interfaces transmit/receive and not vlan interface.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card