Views
Helpful
Replies

design a small network for partner

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have a corporate network with 7K Cores and several access 3750x access switches.

We have a request where a visitor& partner want to setup a small network with 5 pcs for their conference.

In the past we provided a 8 x port Cisco switch hang off one of our access switch's port under Guest VLAN.

Our switch will provide their PCs with IP addresses and they get our Internet  etc.

This time  they brough in a cheap netgear router as  they want to give Static IP addresses to their 5 PCs so they can remotely Teamview & monitor their PCs.

Their WAN port on their router is connected to our switch port on the Guest VLAN.

However they said their router is now flapping - on and off and it will work for a while but eventually stop. Their router is set up on DHCP client mode.

This is beyond my understanding of network design.

What do we call this network ie router on a stick ?

Would very much appreciated some advise and help to get this network running.

Thanks

Peter

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

TeamViewer doesn't need static IP addresses normally.

I would go back to your "normal" configuration, and make their DHCP addresses static reservations if they really need it.

Hi Philip,

The Partner said this setup works for them at other Customers site so must be wrong with our

configuration on our switch etc.

My question is this really true ? dont know enough about network design to say that they are wrong.

Thanks

Peter

To be honest, I would dictate to them how its going to work but that is just me.

I would never let anybody plug in an unmanaged home router into my network.

In theory, it should work fine.

The Netgear WAN port (connected to your switch) should pickup a local DHCP address from you.

It will then NAT their LAN addresses over to it.

Are they saying the port is flapping or the internet access?

They are saying the port is flapping !.

is this the normal behavior of this setup ?

Hey q_le,

If they are saying that the port is flapping, are you able to notice any logs on your switch side ?

-Harsha

yes, I can see in the logs in the switch ie the port is up and down several times

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card