Helpful
Replies

3850 Switch Ip not pingable from Remote machine

csharma14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a Topology
machine-- mpls--router-4500X-3850X
when i am trying to ping the 3850 switch from remote machine sometime its pingable sometimes not.
i observed when i ping 3850 switch from 4500 number its pingable , after that its also pingable from remote machine, but after some its again stops from remote machine .dont know what is happening,
every time i tired to ping it firstly from 4500 than its pingable from remote machine.but normally sometime its not reachable

i tried to trace it i always reach till core switch after that its getting stopped.

Current IOS in 3850 : 03.07.05E, LAN Base image, SDM mode Advance.
IOS in 4500:03.08.03.E,

Current IOS in 3850 : 03.07.05E, LAN Base image, SDM mode Advance.
IOS in 4500:03.08.03.E,

4 Replies 4

Have you set the default gateway on the 3850 Lan base and trunked the interfaces.

4500x( VLAN X management)--- Trunk( If you multiple VLAN's)->3850( VLAN X -Management IP---IP default-gateway to the VLAN X).

Hi

Have you verified if the IP is not duplicated, configured on different devices? Are you using HSRP? Could you please share the configuration. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

yes its all checked, no duplicate IP, 4500 in vss mode, port trunk, vlan allowed, default gateway configured.

Note : its always pingable from 4500 not from remote.

when i start ping from 4500, its also pingable from remote machine.

3800 have l2 device whose l3 vlan is in 4500. 

its some related to arp but not sure..

ermkgupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We also faced the similar issue. This issue is related to MAC address table related bug for 4500X.

Workaround 1: Set the mac address aging timer to the same as the ARP timer. The default would be 14400 seconds for the arp timer. This forces the CPU to punt the traffic to cpu which uses software to forward the first packet to learn the mac.

Workaround 2: Set static entry for particular MAC address.

Following is the URL for your reference. Please

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvb78700/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card