Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Upgrade IOS XE 03.03.01 to 16.09.04

bribowen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

I was attempting to upgrade my Catalyst 3850 in my lab from IOS XE version 03.03.01 to 16.09.04. I copied the file to flash from a flash drive and ran the command:

software install flash:/<.bin>

where <.bin> is the new image.

Then the boot happens and I get several screens of the attached images before it finally freezes and doesn't continue. I am unable to boot to ROMMON (pressing the mode button is ignored on startup).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to recover the old configuration and try the upgrade again?

Since failing this upgrade, I have upgraded a separate 3850 by doing incremental upgrades and using the following command:

software install flash:/<.bin> verbose new force

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Pull the power cables (to all switch members) for about 10 seconds.
Put the power cables back.
Leave the stack this way for about 3 hours (or more).
This could be CSCvq53573.

Thanks for the reply. 

I have tried both of your suggestions already with no luck, up to leaving it running overnight to see if it needed time. 
My understanding is that it’s not going through the normal boot process, although I’m new to switching in general and extremely new to upgrading. 

If the above doesn't work overnight, try an intermediate firmware, like the latest 3.6.X.

I would do that and in fact did with a different 3850. My problem is that I’m unable to regain control of the device. The two screenshots I posted are what I encounter (repeatedly) when I boot the device. I’m unable to enter ROMMON mode through use of the mode button, as when booting it goes into the same loop and ignores my pressing the button. 
Currently I can’t get to any sort of prompt as far as the suggestions I’ve found through searching. 

Leave the switch overnight to "mull" things.
If no improvement, organize for an RMA.

Open a ticket with TAC and RMA it.

HTH

Leave the switch overnight to "mull" things. -- I like that idea
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card