Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 Line Card Oversubscription and Port Groups

Hi,

I have WS-X4448-GB-SFP Line Card Installed in 4507R Chasis (Classic Chasis not E Series). The chasis supports only 6 Gbps per line card. Which means the line card is 8:1 oversubscribed. As per the Data Sheet

WS-X4448-GB-SFP:

• 48  ports

•  1000BASE-X (SFP)

• Cisco  IOS Software Release 12.2(20)EW or later

• IEEE  802.3x flow control

•  Bandwidth is allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per  port group

•  Enterprise and commercial: designed for server farms and  switch-to-switch applications

• Metro  Ethernet: designed for service providers to run point-to-point Gigabit  Ethernet over single-mode fiber

Now my question is how do you find the port groups. Which ports are part of which port group ... is it like Port Group 1 = Ports 1 to 8 and Port Group 2 = Port 9 to 16 and so on .... or any other way

Thanks

Zeeshan Sanaullah

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Zeeshan,

we have seen this in action on WS-4548 the port groups are made of :

1-8

9-16

17-24

and so on

I would expect the same on WS-4448

there is a specific document about oversubscription on C4500 linecards

each group shares one ASIC chip with 1 Gbps capability, there is no local switching that is traffic between ports count too.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Zeeshan,

we have seen this in action on WS-4548 the port groups are made of :

1-8

9-16

17-24

and so on

I would expect the same on WS-4448

there is a specific document about oversubscription on C4500 linecards

each group shares one ASIC chip with 1 Gbps capability, there is no local switching that is traffic between ports count too.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card