Helpful
Replies

4500 logg all entered commands

BornJames
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Trying to figure out on how to log all entered commands on the core switch

I have got logging console informational configured, however i do not see any commands entered.

for example when changing something, I would like to see what command has been entered in the logs or sent to a remote syslog server.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you want to see the logs on the command line when you are consoled in, in addition to logging console, enable "terminal monitor"

HTH

terminal monitor applies to vty lines and not to console. And terminal monitor controls whether you will see log messages as they are generated but has no effect on what is being logged. To be technical I do not know of a way to generate syslog messages that would show entered commands. I believe that your best chance to achieve what you want would be in using aaa accounting to generate records of commands entered.

HTH

Rick

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://blog.ipspace.net/2006/11/log-configuration-commands-entered-on.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 excellent response (and +5 for identifying something that I had not known about). It is slightly not clear exactly what the original post is looking for. A literal reading of the post suggests that they want to log every command entered. And if that is really the case then I believe that my suggestion of aaa accounting comes closer to meeting that requirement. But the example given in the post is about config changes, and I agree that these would be the changes that are most important. And your suggestion appears to be spot on for that objective.

HTH

Rick

Trying to figure out on how to log all entered commands on the core switch <<- what you meaning by this please can you more elaborate. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card