Views
Helpful
Replies

4500-X VSS and Dual-Active detection PAgP, using 2960-X access stacks

rfawns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I think this may have been asked before but its not clear to me.

I have 2 4500-X configured as a VSS pair, so a VSL link of 2 x 10Gig between them.

I have a number of Access stacks, built from 2600-X's

I have tried to configure dual active detection, which from what I read it is to use ePAgP or Dual-Active Fast hello Packets.

I do not have any additional SFP's to connect the 4500's together using Fast Hello, so ePAgP appears my only option

When I try and configure the access stack with an Etherchannel across 2 switches using PAgP I get the error -

command rejected by the 2960-x stack

%With PAgP enabled, all ports in the Channel should belong to the same switch

Command rejected (Port-channel11, Te1/0/1): Invalid etherchnl mode

From what I have read, PAgP cannot be configured across a stack, and people are recommending LACP as the method to configure the Etherchannnel, but How does that work with Dual-Active detection PAgP?

When I configuring Dual-Active detection PAgP, and made a couple of the MEC's trusted and configure using LACP active, then tried failing the VSL between the 4500's, each stack went into err disable on the trunk connections.

Question is! Does dual active detection PAgP work over an Etherchannel configured as LACP? or what's my options

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Question is! Does dual active detection PAgP work over an Etherchannel configured as LACP? or what's my options

No, you can't use LACP for ePAGP detection.  One option is to break one of the stacks in your access layer and use the switch you want to use for dual active detection individually (not part of a stack) and uplink it to both 4500X switches. This way, you know that the single switch is used for ePAgP detection.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, you can't use LACP for ePAGP detection.  One option is to break one of the stacks in your access layer and use the switch you want to use for dual active detection individually (not part of a stack) and uplink it to both 4500X switches. This way, you know that the single switch is used for ePAgP detection.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Exactly what I thought. Need a single switch that I can configure the PAgP MEC on. back to the design team and customer.

Thanks

Rod

That is correct Rod.

Good Luck and thanks for the rating!

BTW, if you can, I would purchase the additional 2 SFPs and use fast-hello instead of PAgP.

I think, using fast-hello its just easier to deploy and understand. That is just my opinion.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card