cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4503E with Sup 7-E and IOSX 3.2, enable routing

jasonmeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Actually a pretty simple question to clear up a little confusion on my part. First a little backround.

Have a 3750X running at the moment and has about 30 vlans all connected and just use the ip route global config command to enable routing. Plan is to switch out to the 4503E, with IPBase license.

When ever I issue the same command, and do a show run its not there. I get no error when I issue the command either. And yes I have rebooted. Do I need to use RIP or OSPF routing? When I do a show ip route the screen looks the same with all the codes, though gateway of last resort isn't set even though I do have ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d in the config. Or is ip routing just enabled by default? Again, just a little confused.

Thanks in advance.

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jason, have you got vlan interfaces on your 3750?

e.g. interface vlan 2 (or which-ever number)

You should still be able to create the vlan interfaces on the 4503E.

I have a 4506E and I can't see the ip routing command in the config either, but I definitely know that IP routing is enabled. (Also on IP BASE)

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Jason.

All you need on the 4503E is the SVI's (All your interface vlans)

Enable 'ip routing'

And set your default gateway if there is one i.e. 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d

as you have mentioned. No need to enable RIP, OSPF or other routing protocols.

Your gateway of last resort on the 3750 is the same thing as setting the default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d

If you do a command 'show ip route' If you see your routes then it means its fine. If you only see your default gateway then maybe we need to look at it a bit closer.

Any doubt, just post the show ip route output here so we can confirm

I hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Bilal, well the device isn't connected to our network yet, so none of the vlans are up/connected. Actually am waiting on a 48 port line card for the switch. Its just odd that when I enter ip routing then do a show run, the command isn't in the running-config. Or would not having any line cards other than the Sup be why?

Jason

Hi Jason, have you got vlan interfaces on your 3750?

e.g. interface vlan 2 (or which-ever number)

You should still be able to create the vlan interfaces on the 4503E.

I have a 4506E and I can't see the ip routing command in the config either, but I definitely know that IP routing is enabled. (Also on IP BASE)

I have a 4506E and I can't see the ip routing command in the config either, but I definitely know that IP routing is enabled.

Bilal, thats what I was looking for. Must be enabled by default. Thanks for the clarification.

Hi Jason,

I just did a 'show protocols' And this verifies that ip routing is enabled.

Let me know if this works for you too.

Yup it is enabled. Thanks again Bilal.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card