Replies

4506(Old Series) Licensing and VSS

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Licensing,

I saw this somewhere:

Supervisor Engine 7-E (WS-X45-Sup7-E) (IP Base)

Supervisor Engine 7L-E (WS-X45-Sup7L-E) (Enterprise Services)

1) are the licenses come with the supervisor or the chassis? so If I buy a supervisor that ends in 7L-E, it's Enterprise, if it's 7-e it's just ip base?

2) regardless of the supervisor I can load the chasis with any linecard? the line cards are just ports, or we have the FIB table at line card's level?

3) We have different models

4500(none)

4500X

4500E

what is that X referring to and the one ends in no letter?, I know the E is referring to enhanced

Linking(Not VSS yet),

4) do we uplink to supervisor port, or to other line cards ports? because there are not so many ports on supervisor, suppose we have two 4506 that they need to be connected together and two distribution layer switch on top of that that they need to be connected too both chasis(two etherchannel links each)

VSS)

5) obviously if we have redundant supervisors, they have to be identical, right?

6)how often can a supervisor but not the whole chassis go down that we find this model useful?

7) how many cables are running between two 4506 chassis(single SuperVisor) and to what port they are going? how about for redundant SuperVisor?

8) 

<quote>

Asymmetric chassis support
Catalyst 4500 and Catalyst 4500-X VSS require the same supervisor engine type in both chassis. The chassis must contain the same number of slots, even if their linecards differ or their slots are empty. Provided the number of slots in the two chassis match, the chassis can differ in type (that is, +E and -E chassis can be in a single VSS).

</quote>

so it means two 4506 with different amount of line cards loaded, can do Asymmetric? what is the drawback of doing it Asymmetric in compare to Symmetric(everything identical)?

thanks

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
licenses are on supervisor ,in nexus switches there on chassis

X series is usually limited lifetime warranty

You can load the chassis with supported line cards only based against the hardware guide, the supervisor is the brains for all , line cards are dumb switches basically in thats sense

If non VSS best practice before that it was good practice to use an FHRP protocol like HSRP or GLBP and then dual link all switches in dist and access layer back to core switches

Yes with identical images , configs will sync when setup correctly

Thats impossible to answer with so many scenarios , but they rarely go dual sup usually when standalone chassis , 4 sup in VSS is overkill , i have over a 1000 switches globally all our access is VSS right to core on campus side and we rarely replace sups , you should keep them supported if possible though , some companies do support older models that would have spares even if there eol

Depends on your setup but you use the 10gbs on the sup if possible , usually 2 VSL links in portchannels.

you may not end up with exact HA failover , its considered best practice to have identical setup in each switch , in all the years running VSS i never actaully seen a setup with different cards but it is possible in 65 series too

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card