Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 replace blade

lkadlik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If i replace a card of the same type in the same slot will I lose the configuration for that card or does it live in the backplane of the device?

Is there any special command I need to run to replace the card or can i shut down the 4507r-e and just swap out the blade?

Thank you.

Lynne

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are replacing the supervisor engine, you need to power down the chassis.  If it's just a line card, you can replace/swap out the line card.

The configurations of each line card is stored in the supervisor engine.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are replacing it with the same type of module in the sane slot.  The config will stay.  No special command, if you have an outage window, shut down the switch, replace the old one with your new blade, turn on the switch.

Good Luck

HTH

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

The 4507 supports OIR (Online Insertion and Removal) on all line cards including the sup.  So yes, if replacing with the same line card just swap and go.  Always, do during maintenance window but the switch doesn't have to be shut down. 

Replacing Sup's require a little more care.  If you only have 1 sup you will take the switch down when you remove the module.  But if you have redundant sup you can replace the standby sup without causing interuption.  Just have to make sure the replacment is running the same version.  Which can be handled with a spare chasis or using the CF card.  And depending on the redundancy mode you can cause an outage if the mode is RPR and not SSO and you force failover or failback. 

HTH

Chad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card