Views
Helpful
Replies

6500-E power issue?

rehegtyagi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Pardon my ignorance as I work in a data center and do not have networking experience, just the grunt work. Tonight I had someone reach out to me about a chassis minor alarm, and they said the 2nd power supply was showing off and that only 1 fan was visible.

As usual I went up to look into it, power supply 1 had 3 green LED's(input 1 and 2 and fan) and a dark output fail LED. Power supply 2 has the 3 green LED's and a red output fail LED. My recommendation was to re-seat the power supply as they are hot swapable, I've done it numerous times, and generally re-seating things fixes a lot of issues. When instructed to that, I turned the power switch on PS2 to the O/off position and that shut down the entire chassis instantly.

I turned it back to the on position and the device booted back up, and according to my network resource the only thing generated was "%SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted". Both power supplies are WS-CAC-6000W, and of the 5+ I've replaced in the past few years this has NEVER happened.

I looked at the PDU's in the cabinet, both of which have a total of 4 power cords(two 6500's) spread across 3 phases. One of the PDU's has a phase that is overloaded by 4 AMPS, which of course one of the power cords from the "bad" power supply is plugged into. The other PDU has no where near that amount of power on any of the phases.

My question is, what else can I look at/for that might have caused the device to shut down with only 1 power supply turned to off while the other is perfectly fine? Everything is pointing to a power issue, but the chassis should NOT have shut down with only 1 power supply turned off. Any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Generally you will have to look at the logs on the device to get insights (show logging)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card