cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 IOS version recommendations

cshannahan
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all.  We have 2 6509's.  R1 is our Primary and R2 secondary.  I noticed they are not running the same IOS.  See below.

R1#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin"

R2# sh ver

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF17, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BOOTLDR: s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF17, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF17.bin"

One has a BOOTLDR and the other doesn't.  I know sometimes if we reboot R2 it comes up in Rommon mode, not sure why.  I had fixed it at one point but then it went back to having the confg register something other then what it should be.  I would like to get them running the same code and then try a reboot on R2 to make sure it can be rebooted without issue, etc.

Thanks!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi again,

R2#sh bootvar

BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is not present.

R2#remote command switch show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x0

There's the problem. Could you go into configuration mode and enter config-register 0x2102 and then do a write mem and then reload the switch again please (during a downtime of course if it is in production).

Once you enter the config-register command, issue a remote command switch show bootvar again. It should tell you something like 0x2102 on next reload in brackets next to the 'Configuration register is 0x0' line

Regards,

Aninda

Message was edited by: Aninda Chatterjee

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aninda Chatterjee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Chris,

Just for clarification, are you looking to upgrade the code on the second switch to SXI3 (to match the first switch) or are you looking to upgrade both to a more latest code and looking for a recommendation?

Coming to the question of R2 going to ROMmon every you reboot it. There are several things we can check for this. Let's remove all boot statements from the configuration and configure it as follows (if it already isn't this):

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:

You could of course use a different memory location as need be.

Another thing that I would like to make sure is that the configuration register for the RP and the SP match. You can check this using show bootvar and remote command switch show bootvar. I would expect to see 0x2102 on both. If that is not the case, configure it to be 0x2102 and then do write mem. This should sync this to the SP as well. Reboot the switch after this.

Regards,

Aninda

Thanks for the reply!  It doesn't matter if I upgrade or not.  I wouldn't be against it though...but I would like them the same at the least.  Here is the output from the bootvar commands.

R1#sh bootvar

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Standby not ready to show bootvar

R1#remote command switch show bootvar

R2#sh bootvar

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Standby is not present.

Hi again,

R2#sh bootvar

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Standby is not present.

There's the problem. Could you go into configuration mode and enter config-register 0x2102 and then do a write mem and then reload the switch again please (during a downtime of course if it is in production).

Once you enter the config-register command, issue a remote command switch show bootvar again. It should tell you something like 0x2102 on next reload in brackets next to the 'Configuration register is 0x0' line

Regards,

Aninda

Message was edited by: Aninda Chatterjee

Ok, I remember I tried this before.  That's why the code is on there, the same one as R1 but it didn't boot it for some reason.  I ran the command, rebooted and it seems to be configured correctly now, running the same code as R1. 

I'm glad I could help Chris. And thank you for the generous rating.

Take care,

Aninda

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card