Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 redundancy mode question

langstonb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have a question regarding supervisor redundancy on a 6500 runn

ing in native mode. I recently had one running with a single sup and when I added the redundant one, it went to Cold status. I discov

ered that was due to the IOS code being different.

I swear I researched the issue and found a simple write command would resolve it, but now I'm thinking I had to do a redunancy sso command first.

Is that correct? I have a change control tomorrow night for 3 other switches and I know for sure that the ios doesnt match on the sups. I'd much prefer a quick sync instead of manually copying the bin file to the slavedisk.

Thanks

Brian

1 Reply 1

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

In the past I've resolved this issue by copying the sup-bootdisk:image to slavesup-bootdisk: (or equiv filesystems on your supervisor), then reloading the standby module.  With the correct version of code on its bootdisk, it should boot up into hot standby / SSO.

Also, you will want to ensure the standby sup is running a version of ROMMON that will support running the code that's on the active sup.  Most likely not a problem -- but that would definitely cause you problems.

I am not familiar with a command to automagically copy the IOS image to the standby supervisor and bring it up into SSO.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card