Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 vss to standalone

Mahmoud
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have two 6500 core switches with VSS but we need to separate the switches into standalone. every core has one sup 2T 

-we needed to switch the active switch to standby and vice versa so I run the command #redundancy force-switchover  but unfortunately the active core restarted and never come up again till now I dont know why this behavior happened? appreciate your explanation

-I removed the VSL cable between them and one switch is disconnected from the network and I need to convert it to be a standalone and the other is running in my network so my question is if the core switch that running in my network not converted to standalone because of downtime is there any problem will occur to this switch like timeout as this switch should track the availability of its standby core?

appreciate your support

3 Replies 3

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Look for the correct config guide for you IOS version:-

Here is an example from 12.2SX

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vss.html#wp1056162

The index for the guides is here:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VSS to Standalone== = 1st of all you required good Maintainence Window to run this show.

Have the configuration copy on to the notepad and to the bootflash.

Then proceed with the following commands:

Converting the VSS Active Switch to Standalone

When you convert the VSS active switch to standalone mode, the VSS active switch removes the provisioning and configuration information related to VSL links and the peer chassis modules, saves the configuration file, and performs a reload. The switch comes up in standalone mode with only the configuration data relevant to the standalone system.

The VSS standby switch of the VSS becomes VSS active. VSL links on this switch are down because the peer is now unavailable.

To convert the VSS active switch to standalone mode, perform this task on the VSS active switch:

Command
Purpose

Switch-1# switch convert mode stand-alone

Converts Switch 1 to standalone mode.

After you enter the command, you are prompted to confirm the action. Enter yes.

Conversion from VSS to standalone causes all physical interfaces to be administratively shutdown and written to the startup-config. This is a safeguard against a standalone system arriving in the network alive and conflicting with a bridge or router MAC address, which might still be there if one of the VSS switches is still running in VSS mode.

We do not recommend that you convert a VSS to standalone in a live network.

Converting the VSS Standby Switch to Standalone

When you convert the new VSS active switch to standalone mode, the switch removes the provisioning and configuration information related to VSL links and the peer switch modules, saves the configuration file and performs a reload. The switch comes up in standalone mode with only its own provisioning and configuration data.

To convert the peer switch to standalone, perform this task on the VSS standby switch:

Command
Purpose

Switch-2# switch convert mode stand-alone

Converts Switch 2 to standalone mode.

After you enter the command, you are prompted to confirm the action. Enter yes.

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

This can happen due to few factors

1)There is a config mismatch between the primary and secondary. (Mostly the cause)

2)There are few commands somehow went missing and happen to get the mismatch.

3)The image did not match on the other sup.(Though it may have joined in RPR mode).

Can you check the logs from the Current Active? It should indicate what is the reason for not joining.

Did you happen to console to the SUP which you have removed (VSS Link) during the Failover?

Be careful when switching to standalone. Check if there are any existing port channels to other switches from both of these switches. If you have, you need to either shut one of the port or remove the port channel.

It will be helpful if you can post the #sh logging from the current active.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card