cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 and 6509-E Physical Characteristics

Derrick Moore
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any physical characteristic differences between the 6509 and 6509-E chassis?  Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for your kind response. Almost both chassis looks similar and has same dimension. It has same type of Air flow as well.

By looking you may not be able find any difference until if you see the label on the switch. Please see the below chassis view of both 6509 and 6509-E

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Chassis_Installation/Cat6500/02prep.html#wp1092758

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Derrick,

• The Catalyst 6500 Series delivers secure, converged, end-to-end services, from the wiring closet to the core network, the data center, and the WAN edge.

• The 6500-E series switches offer enhancements to scale beyond the 4000W power supply. Today's 6500 series switch cannot scale beyond 4000W of total system capacity except for 6513. The 6513 can support up to 6000W of power.

The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series provides 3-, 6-, 9-, and 13-slot chassis models with slots arranged horizontally, and a 9-slot model with slots arranged vertically, with front-to-back airflow. Typical applications for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis include:

• 3-Slot Chassis: Low-density, wiring-closet chassis sharing interface modules and supervisor engines with larger chassis for common sparing; low-density, high-performance specialized services module chassis for network security and management; and low-density, high-end chassis providing connectivity to the WAN edge
  • 6- and 9-Slot Chassis: Traditional chassis for the wiring closet, distribution and core layers, data center, and WAN edge. The Cisco Catalyst 6506-E and Catalyst 6509-E support more than 4000 watts (W) power and higher per slot.

• 13-Slot Chassis: Highest-capacity chassis for Ethernet connectivity, with slots to spare for services modules, providing network security and management.

Note: Sup-2T requires E-series switches

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps5138/product_data_sheet09186a00800ff916_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Regards,

Aru

Thanks Aru for the information.  I was more curious on the physical differences between the two chassis... I needed to know if I was looking at a 6509 chassis in a rack, is there a way (without accessing the command line) that I can look at the chassis and determine whether or not it was the 6509 or a 6509-E?  I truly appreciate your assistance.

-Derrick

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for your kind response. Almost both chassis looks similar and has same dimension. It has same type of Air flow as well.

By looking you may not be able find any difference until if you see the label on the switch. Please see the below chassis view of both 6509 and 6509-E

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Chassis_Installation/Cat6500/02prep.html#wp1092758

Regards,

Aru

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Coming to a store near you ... Cisco 6500E+. 

One of the features:  100 Gbps support

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card